Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Eezi-awn roof rack clamps

Rob

Garage
I need 3 new clamps for my eezi-awn roof rack along with 8 hook bolts and wedges (these go between the bolts and clamps) and so far footloose have been terrible at getting back to me with a price, been trying for since February!!!! IMO i have 2 options, importing them myself or sourcing 8 new clamps over here. The legs are very simple, just steel plates with approximately 90 degree bend in them and a hole for the hook bolts. are there any roof rack claps available? anyone recommend a SA supplier?

PS is this in the right section admin? please move if not ;)

If you can find them from a SA shop and they not to large or heavy, I have a friend coming over in June (16-20!!!) who could bring them with him.
Somewhere like http://safaricentre.co.za/

16-20th! bring him/her to see the famous red mud ;)

I have emailed them to see what they say

alternatively let one of us saffers have the details - we can post on LCCSA or ask a buddy in SA to source for you ....

My daughter goes over in June for a month and can bring them back for you if you're not in a huge rush :D

thats a great idea Gary. I got an email back from safari centre saying that they cant help me but have forwarded the email to eezi-awn. this was yesterday morning and eezi-awn havent got back to me.

I will take some photos of the clamps when i get home tonight. All i know is what i have said above. The rack is stored in london at the moment so i cant take any photos of it. All i will need form SA are the 3 clamps. footloose said they manufactured the wedges here in the UK as they were not included with the rack :? (will be easy to understand when you se the photos). Im sure i can get those made up over here and i will be able to find those hook bolts somewhere...

Post a piccy. We may be able to make them for you. I owe you a favour. If they are simple, I can make them up and you could find someone to powder coat them.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
some pics
DSC08197.JPG

you can see where the wedge needs to go, where the bolt is bent

DSC08198.JPG

do you reckon you could make some chris? Does anyone know of some other clamps that could do the job?

Gary (or anyone else) could you post on the SA forum to see if anyone has any spare or knows where i could get one? Ill send an email to Eazi-awn directly and see if they can sell me some.

I hope that's enough info

Ahh, bit trickier than I'd hoped As the holes are slots, they need punching out prior to bending really. I'd imagine that these would be formed in a couple of operations. I can't really do slotting like that. Probably take me an hour per bracket! It's a question of having the right tools. I think I'd struggle to make you 8 like that.
The bending is easy, but it's getting everything to line up with the slots too. They could be drilled afterwards but they need that slot for free adjustment.

Chris

I thought they might be a bit labour intensive if you dont have the fight tools. Ill try and get some from SA.

If you haven't been able to buy any in a while it might be best to just fab legs of a slightly different design? I'm guessing they're only that shape because it could be cheaply pressed i.e. no welding. A bit of plate with the 90 degree bend at each end and then weld some box section across the middle with a hole in for the hook bolt to go through would give you the same fixing with a nice flat surface? Or have I missunderstood the problem?

How come you want to use the Eezi-awn instead of the ARB?

Jon, that's a great solution, I have just read through the thread and i haven't suggested fabricating one and i though i had...
If i cant get some then i will go down the fabrication route.

The reason why im not using the ARB is because the Eezi-awn is a flat rack with no sides and so i can get my roof tent on it. to get it on the ARB i would either have to mount it high over the side rails or cut the side rails which would reduce its strength considerably. I bought the ARB as last year my plan was to go without a roof tent, now i have changed my mind.

Rob said:
I bought the ARB as last year my plan was to go without a roof tent, now i have changed my mind.
I'm going in the other direction, I am going to sell the roof tent and make do with my pop up or oz tent :roll:

If you haven't solved it by July I may be able to help.

Jon Wildsmith said:
Rob said:
I bought the ARB as last year my plan was to go without a roof tent, now i have changed my mind.
I'm going in the other direction, I am going to sell the roof tent and make do with my pop up or oz tent :roll:

If you haven't solved it by July I may be able to help.
I now understand what you meant by roof tents being a pain to store, will stick with the roof tent until i have seen how easy/useful it is to use it on an overland trip.

For proper overlanding a roof tent seems pretty good and are nice and comfy but as I often find myself in unknown tight spots it's an extra complication I could do without! It's not like you can just take it off, drive through the tight spot and pop it back on again once clear! For me it's a trade off between the comfort of the RT and less stress getting through the places I like to go.

Thanks to Crispin i now have a complete set of clamps and bolts including the wedges / angled washers and at a very reasonable price too. Thanks Crispin

Back