Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

EGR - advice needed!!

reliablerebel

Country Flag
ireland
Ok, so full disclosure, I only come here when I need something. As I know next to nothing about engines, most of the discussions are way above my paygrade.
Anyway, engine light lit up yesterday, went into garage, put diagnostics on it. Came up as EGR - they gave me two options. Replace (expensive) or remove and drive without it. What is the EGR, do I need it, and can I manage without it? Emissions a little higher than they should be, failed DOE test first time this year on that. Garage gave it your equivalent of "the italian tune up" before retest and all went well. Also burning oil, as I have to top up rather regularly and its not leaking out visibly so must be leaking internally.
I would be interested to hear the views of you knowledgeable people please?? Would be much appreciated, as I don't know enough to make a decision with my limited knowledge!
Thankyou!!

The EGR was thought up by a 4 year old with dementia and adopted into law by politicians who will believe in unicorns if you bribe them enough .

Tell the garage to bin it .

I would think at that mileage, your egr, throttle body and to a lesser extent, your inlet manifold will be clogged up with a black, sticky, tar like substance, which would benefit from dismantling and a good clean out.
Do not remove your egr or bin it, if the mot inspector sees it missing, it will fail - far better to do an unobtrusive egr delete when you reassemble after cleaning.
If you do a search there is loads of info on this in the 120 section.)
When were your injectors last replaced, another item to watch on a 120 ?

Last edited:
EGRs are a hateful and very stupid idea that ruin engines. And are expensive.

For what its worth here are pics of the EGR on a PD1560 Mk4 golf I rebuilt last year. I also rebuilt a PD 130 and the EGR was the same. this hateful sticky tar like crap was all the way down into the intake and head and took a good while to clean out.

IMG_1856.JPG

IMG_1857.JPG

and here is a photo of the head of an '06 Toyota RAV4 before I set 2 cleaning it. in all cases i made sure this crap wont happen again. Shayne summed the system up well in his post earlier.

AB8666BF-937C-4133-BD66-C496DECA58D2.JPG

Last edited:
Unfortunately egr's and worse are here to stay until the government get their way and snuff out ICE, while ignoring it themselves.
A subtle delete is a way of not alerting an over vigilant mot inspector to a removed/binned egr system and possible failure.
Those pics are exactly what I was trying to point out, with more relevant pics to the 120 section as mentioned and worse, with TONYC11 useful contributions of how to get around it.
To do a proper clean up job requires hours and hours of filthy workwork.

What did you do to make sure it won't happen again ?

I would think at that mileage, your egr, throttle body and to a lesser extent, your inlet manifold will be clogged up with a black, sticky, tar like substance, which would benefit from dismantling and a good clean out.
Do not remove your egr or bin it, if the mot inspector sees it missing, it will fail - far better to do an unobtrusive egr delete when you reassemble after cleaning.
If you do a search there is loads of info on this in the 120 section.)
When were your injectors last replaced, another item to watch on a 120 ?
Injectors have been replaced twice, but not recently. I am actually trading up the jeep in a couple of months time, so I suppose I am looking for the simplest/cheapest short term solution. Its not due a test till October, (in Ireland).
What is an unobtrusive egr delete?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
EGRs are a hateful and very stupid idea that ruin engines. And are expensive.

For what its worth here are pics of the EGR on a PD1560 Mk4 golf I rebuilt last year. I also rebuilt a PD 130 and the EGR was the same. this hateful sticky tar like crap was all the way down into the intake and head and took a good while to clean out.

View attachment 330630

View attachment 330631

and here is a photo of the head of an '06 Toyota RAV4 before I set 2 cleaning it. in all cases i made sure this crap wont happen again. Shayne summed the system up well in his post earlier.

View attachment 330632
Gosh that's a shocker - the dirt and grease!!

Ok so garage said they would blank off and delete - sound ok? planning to sell her within a couple of months.

Very, - dont tell Fishy, haha.

A blanking plate will do it, but it must have a 6mm hole I think, or you will get fault lights come up.
Check out TONYC11 threads/posts, lots of details on full or partial deletes on d4d engines.

A blanking plate will do it, but it must have a 6mm hole I think, or you will get fault lights come up.
Check out TONYC11 threads/posts, lots of details on full or partial deletes on d4d engines.
Thanks, will do!!

R.R. sorry, can't do a link, but just looked back in 120 section, and Tony mentions 7mm hole, nothing smaller or it will throw up a light.
The idea is to fool the ecu by letting a very small amount of exhaust gases through, and being a expert on d4d, Tony knows exactly what he's doing, tried and tested on his own.
Also look on YouTube - Fourby4diesels, who gives lots of info on d4d.

Hold fire with this.

You can’t just blank the EGR off. If you do you can run the risk of having the EML coming on all the bastard time.

You can either get a blanking plate and drill a 7mm hole in the middle of it, or you can get the fuel trimmer thing from OzBush Electronics and blank it off completely. Doing the latter means you can fully block the EGR off without the risk of an EML, and you can adjust the fuelling of your wagon.

I done the latter last year, I’ve seen an improvement in MPG and no black smoke on hard acceleration. It’s done the one MOT and passed without issues, and because it’s not visually obvious it’s been blocked off you don’t run the risk of an MOT fail either.

Hold fire with this, - really ??
If you read the thread/my posts properly, you will see that the 7mm hole is clearly mentioned

Thanks, will do!!

Back