Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

EGR hose swap?

Roy Duffy

Country Flag
scotland
Is this a simple way to blank of the EGR valve?

I have used one hose to join both egrs and the other to close other ends.

Is there anything else i need to do? Should i notice any performance changes?

Attachments

• before_wee.jpg
    before_wee.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 76
  • after_wee.jpg
    after_wee.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 83
As far as I know you wont feel any difference in performance, it is possible that you will notice a difference in fuel economy depending on your driving style, egr is supposed to only recirculate exhaust gasses when not accelerating. I have removed mine altogether and blanked off the port in the exhaust manifold. hope this helps you.
:)

I blank 'em off all the time out on the road......useless things
nearly as bad as DPF filters....Grrrrr!"!

the way I do it is undo the bolts between the manifolds, open up the gap and slip in a piece of coke can to block off the hole, do up the bolts and hey presto....no EGR valve.
Doesn't make an iota of difference to the running, but as said, you MAY find a very slight increase in fuel consumption, but I doubt very much you would be able to measure it.
The valve is purely there to attempt to make the engine pump out less CO2, so that the car manufacturers can claim that thier engine is better/greener.

Last edited:
By the way, the way you have stopped them working is ok.........provided that the valve is not dirty and is in the fully closed position..ie sealed and not partially open.

Thanks for the replies! I have not driven it yet. I will blank it off properly soon, just wanted to see if it made a difference. Will fuel consumption go up because of this mod? I get about 480 out of a tank and up to 500 on a long run.

Thanks for the replies! I have not driven it yet. I will blank it off properly soon, just wanted to see if it made a difference. Will fuel consumption go up because of this mod? I get about 480 out of a tank and up to 500 on a long run.

LOL, I used to get similar figures before I fitted a winch bumper with head lamp protection, A winch to mount on same, a hannibal roof rack, replaced the rear bumper with a TJM one, but seeing as how I have a intercooler fitted I am takeing advantage of it's benefits ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Unlikely to make any measurable difference to mpg or performance but stops further coking up of the intake. Like Julian I have removed mine completely but I have not thrown them away just in case it becomes an issue in years to come at MOT time. If you have a flat spot of sorts around 1600 rpm if you're taking it easy, that's normal but nothing to do with the EGR. 480 - 500 sounds about right for a standard one.

Back