Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

EGT gauge fitting...

GuyB

Country Flag
sweden
So... getting ready to install my new EGT gauge before I start playing with boost, fuelling and such. It's a typical after-market type gauge kit that's supposed to be drilled and tapped into the manifold, pre-turbo.

Was just reading up, and one article says it's "not recommended" to drill and tap the manifold while the turbo is fitted, due to the risk of metal fragments shredding the turbine. I didn't really want to get into removing the turbo at this point, for various reasons.

How 'real' is that? Has anyone got first-hand experience?

Here is a suggestion, drill and tap with the engine idling that way it's more likely any debris will be blown out by exhaust gas pressure rather than go through the turbo vanes on startup and potentially you should avoid any possible damage to the the turbo.

Only other suggestion I have is to drill at low speed so as to limit the chance of any large pieces of debris going into the manifold.

Last edited:
Use a new sharp drill bit at slow speed and put grease on the end to help trap swarf. Take the inlet hose off the turbo so you can spin the turbine with your fingers as the drill breaks through so any metal bits will just be flicked through by the turbine blades. If you're careful, any debris will be minimal if at all. This is how I did mine with no issues.

So... getting ready to install my new EGT gauge before I start playing with boost, fuelling and such. It's a typical after-market type gauge kit that's supposed to be drilled and tapped into the manifold, pre-turbo.

Was just reading up, and one article says it's "not recommended" to drill and tap the manifold while the turbo is fitted, due to the risk of metal fragments shredding the turbine. I didn't really want to get into removing the turbo at this point, for various reasons.

How 'real' is that? Has anyone got first-hand experience?

I took mine off to do it but i had read on an Aussie tuning site to :

Drill it a little to bed the bit in and then finish it with the engine running... assuming the pressure blows swarf out of the hole as its running. I'd wear glasses and do the same as suggested above with the grease.

If you have a european 1HD-FT you can fit an EGR blanking kit, and drill and tap the blanking plate on the manifold

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
All three of my gauges are VDO. Im pleased with them. They match the dash and work well.

if i was doing it again i would take a serious look at redarcs gauges.

I have drilled with engine running, pair of goggles and works fine. A recent one was drilling out a glow plug from a Ford Focus fitted with the Peugeot engine, the plugs are low down at the back of the head. Bastard of a job but with the engine idling the glow plug bits were blasted out.

Very satisfying and customer was happy as the head did not have to come off, and he saved more than a few quid.

@chapel gate post up a pick of the gauges if you would? Had them in my Discovery but VDO needles were orange and Discover more yellow, yes I know I am sad and OCD, I removed the dash and painted the needles orange to match.

Regards

Dave

subtanksetup005.jpg

Old pic and they have since been moved from there to a piller pod.

Ta mate, I will have to dig out some pics of my Discovery interior, I am sure no one will mind.............Dave signs off......cowering.

Regards

Dave

Back