Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

EGT temps

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
didn't want to splash this all over the other thread.

im happy with 1300f as my max temp tbh tp. don't forget this is the gas temp not the temp of the piston which is cooled by air,oil and a jacket of water. the probe is in the manifold so it is measuring the combined temp of the gas exhausted by all six cylinders.

I also use the egt gauge as a "turbo timer" turning off the engine when the temps come down to 300f.

am I right in thinking you havnt increased the fuel or upped the boost? if your running as stock how easy is it to get into the danger zone? how many people without a egt gauge running a cruiser as set from the factory are going over 1300f?

I use the EGT gauge exactly as you do. I have tweaked the low and mid range fuelling but not the max injection volume adjustment. Boost is standard. Towing at motorway speeds up hills is when the temp climbs quickly above 1200f. Just running round solo you have to be really giving it some to get anywhere near that. I hear what you say about people running without temp or boost gauges. On my old Disco I had neither, not even an oil pressure gauge and thrashed that fully laden towing up and down the motorway and never gave the EGT, boost or OP a second thought! Gauges can be a good thing for avoiding mechanical disasters but I've heard them called 'worry' gauges as you can find yourself watching them all the time!

Back