Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Electric disaster on the autoroute

mettisse

Supporter
After a week in the Italian Alps laning etc, we were off to the sunny Costa Brava, gets as far as Nimes, and the temperature climbing nicely( not the truck) switches the air con from "low" to "2" game over , no ignition circuit, no warning lights, nix.... Wipers radio horn lights, all ok, just no ignition or start. We had to be recovered off the autoroute by the official recovery, care of the amazing caravan club insurance, spent 5 hours checking the electrics through. I knew to disconnect the air con pump, checked the fusible links, all ok, very frustrating to find nothing. Then I started again, this time took EVERY fuse out, looked at it carefully then run a current through it, I couldn't believe what I found, the 10 amp fuse for the "gauges" looked ok but would only allow 4.5 volts through, changed it, hey presto!!!! What a nuisance!!! Next time, I'll take it slow, methodical, and double check, I'll also write a list as I go, but worth knowing that this particular fuse is important. ( I suppose they all are) so, carried on holiday with no air con. Glad it never happened in the alps!! Have to mention had wonderful help and support from Scott by telephone, best Regards, Bill Westley
ps.strongest suspect of problem is the electric clutch on the air con pump, very loose and noisy bearings, removed vee belt before proceeded, it'll have to wait until we are home now.

Last edited:
Wow Bill, that could have been a close call, if it had been more serious.

I had a burn-out from the back, melted the whole harness and caught fire behind one of the rear trim panels. It was 8:00 on a Sunday night, miles from anywhere, and it was -12C, with my family when Ana was only 5 months old. That was scary, it's amazing how quickly a nice warm car gets cold with no heater running! That was a bush rewire job from bits of harness that I could salvage!

Glad it didn't spoil the trip, there'll be some photos of the lovely Alps coming soon then, I hope! :icon-biggrin:

Piccies to follow, imagine an area of outstanding beauty with tracks and lanes all over, where the local tourist information prints and hands out routes for walkers, cyclists and combined motor bikes and 4x4 riders/drivers, that's where we've been, unbelievable? It's true, I'll put up the details when we're back in blighty, we did over 200 miles off road, laning only, could've done it all in a Gaylander, but... It was fun! Diff locks not required, lovely alpine picnics, beautiful views, bottle stretching tight turns on incredible drop offs, great fun, how has it been kept a secret? Well it's not, lots of Dutch, Belgians, Germans and French know it and drive it, we met all sorts from all over. Still in the Costa Brava, sun, sea, sangria and lovely seafood, no laning tho' Best Regards to all, Bill Westley

Back