Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Electric Front Seats Won't Go Back

Bshane

My electric front seats in m '92 have stopped moving backward. When I push the switch to move a seat forward, the electric mechanism complies, and I hear the motor working. When I push it the switch the opposite way, to move the seat back, I hear nothing. Both seats are now stuck almost all the way forward :(.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Any ideas how to solve? Thanks.

Go on ih8mud.com & search on there, it's a little white plastic gear wheel that pops of a shaft, simple fix i think, you'll get much more info there than i can remember now.

Sounds a bit daft....but my passenger seat would only go halfway back - then stuck but drivers seat fine. Problem? A large plastic bag had got would round the rotating shaft under ther seat and fouled it........have a look just in case

My seats stopped working once but I spotted the cause straightaway, the inside of the truck was full of muddy Welsh water. my Landcruiser got bogged down in a Welsh mud hole in The Brecon Beacons, it was all very embarrassing, not because I got stuck, it was the bursting into tears when the inside of the car filled up with muddy water that did it.
I was really lucky in getting a full set of replacement leather seats for £100 and the chap threw in a centre cubby box that I needed too.

Chas's Flooded Cruiser.jpg
I should have added after this I was towed 5k down a Welsh mountain, in the dark, by my saviour the one and only Ian Rubie.

Last edited:
F***** hell chas, i'd burst into tears if my 80 was filled with water like yours

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good on you for bro' deal

The Brecon Beacons are beautiful - distractingly so? Thanks for reminding me that things could be worse. I have not driven into muddy Welsh water in Texas but am mindful there is a first time for everything. Chin up. At least you had the foresight to install a snorkel. And good on you for getting a bro' deal on some leather replacement seats.

My seats stopped working once but I spotted the cause straightaway, the inside of the truck was full of muddy Welsh water. my Landcruiser got bogged down in a Welsh mud hole in The Brecon Beacons, it was all very embarrassing, not because I got stuck, it was the bursting into tears when the inside of the car filled up with muddy water that did it. I was really lucky in getting a full set of replacement leather seats for £100 and the chap threw in a centre cubby box that I needed too. View attachment 5446

Thanks for sharing your misadventure. I'll check it out.

Sounds a bit daft....but my passenger seat would only go halfway back - then stuck but drivers seat fine. Problem? A large plastic bag had got would round the rotating shaft under ther seat and fouled it........have a look just in case

That looks like situation normal for a Defender owner every time it rains.....

I think I'd get a bit 'emotional' if that happened to me too, did the carpets dry out ok?
Also, what's the purpose of the bar through the grab handle?

I think I'd get a bit 'emotional' if that happened to me too, did the carpets dry out ok?
Also, what's the purpose of the bar through the grab handle?
The carpets and everything else did dry out eventually with the help of a dehumidifier but it took weeks. The metal bar was my first camera mount, the bungee cord kept it in place, on the end off-camera is a swivel head camera mount, I've now got a permanent bracket bolted to the top of the dash.

Last edited:
at least you didn't get stuck in the deep part Chas, that would have really messed it up :shifty:

in the deep part you could have stepped from the bank onto the roof of a lifted 80 on 36's no trouble if the driver was daft enough to go slowly enough for you to try :lol:

I've got a dodgy connection on my passenger seat (forward ok, backwards not)... if I move the switch back and forth with a little more force I can get it to engage everytime.... Probably also worth a shot.

I had the same issue. Since the motor appears to be working, you may need a new worm drive. Here in the U.S., the OEM part number is # 72206-30040. I got mine from Toyota-parts.com. It's a DIY job, but you have to remove the seat completely from the car and flip it over. Also, before you order any parts, look under the seat on the drive and see if you can see a small white, round nylon screw. It will have a cross pattern on its head for a phillips head screw driver. Sometimes this screw backs out of position or falls out altogether. If it's there, simply screw it back in. If it's missing, well, you'll have to replace. i hope this helps...

Thank you, mscreel, for recounting your experience and including the OEM part number. Every bit of information helps.

Thanks for the referral to Ih8mud. I wound up buying the recommended Giamati repair kit and having my mechanic try out the parts on the power seats, both of which had stopped working. My mechanic was game enough to read the online instructions and succeded in fixing the seats without stripping or otherwise shredding any of the parts. He billed me for 3 hours of work at $80/hour. The seats work beautifully now. What a relief to be able to move them back.Crusher-seat unstuck.jpg

Back