Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Electric Seat repair

80=4ever

Country Flag
australia
I am in the process of repairing my electric seats to allow them to move forwards and backwards. I researched it online and found Gamiviti make replacement plastic gears and ordered 2 sets (1 gear and 1 end cap per set) However having taken the DS seat out have found there are 2 gears per seat one on the electric motor side and the other on the opposite side, both gears drive a threaded rod (worm screw) and both plastic gears are stripped of their threads, so I will need to buy a further 2 gears (which is a pain, because of the time it takes for them to arrive from the US)

But this isn't my main problem, when I removed the DS seat I found a part missing so a PO has messed with the seats before and not put them back together using all the parts (which is my trick, but annoying when someone else does it first). I have attached a parts drawing showing the part that I am missing on the drawing it is called a Seat Adjuster Drive Cable, but I am not sure it is really a cable. It sits between both plastic gear housings and makes the slave housing work that is not directly attached to the motor allowing both gears to turn at the same time.

Does anyone know where I could source this part, not many models were sold with electric seats in Australia only the Sahara had them. My 80 when living in the UK had electric seats and was called a VX and there seemed to be lots of VX models sold in the UK, here in Australia the most common model is the GXL with manual seats.

seat_gear_4_fsm1.jpg

If it were me, id be trying toyota. You fellas pay a lot less for genuine than us in the uk. You also get payed more, and have a lot of sun, but, you have very big spiders.....
Thanks, but Toyota no longer supply that part new, however they do still supply the motor that drives the part that I am looking for at a cost of AUD $770.00, so not sure if our parts are cheaper.

B.T.W. Its not the very big spiders that I worry about, its the small deadly ones :)

The PS seat had the part that I am looking for still in place (so I will swap it to the DS and wait for a PS replacement) here are some pics of the part, I think a UK salvage yard might have it, or I could have a go at fabricating something out of threaded rod

20170104_145144_resized (1).jpg 20170104_145155_resized (1).jpg 20170104_145350_resized.jpg

For anyone with an electric seat that's not going Forwards and Backwards then this little plastic gear might be the problem. You can see from the pic that in comparison to the replacement gear the original one is badly worn in the middle. I now need to press the old one off and then press the new one on without damaging it.

plastic gear.jpg

New gear pressed on, it was easier than I thought it would be, now the other side to do.

new gear pressed on.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
try partsouq.com
I order a lot of parts there. But I always check my local Toyota dealer first.

3D printing springs to mind but i don't know much about it , maybe Crispin could tell us if it could be copied and printed ?

It sounds as though a complete replacement seat may be cheaper than buying parts, although a salvaged seat will also have wear problems, unless it's from a 50k miles crash wreck...

try partsouq.com
I order a lot of parts there. But I always check my local Toyota dealer first.
Thanks that's an interesting site, I looked up the electric motor (not found the part I need on there yet) and the price was $261.94 a lot cheaper than the Toyota parts department. They also show a Daihatsu with the same parts number, (cheaper) so does that mean either part will fit because they shared the same part?

It looks like my seat motor is blown, but $261.94 is still too much for me to pay to get it working, so I might see if it just needs new brushes

Capture seat motor.JPG

It sounds as though a complete replacement seat may be cheaper than buying parts, although a salvaged seat will also have wear problems, unless it's from a 50k miles crash wreck...
My seats in the 80 are leather (Not good here in Australia) and are badly cracked I was going to get Sheepskin covers for them (which a lot of Cruisers have in OZ) but I would not mind replacing all the seats with a set of Velour 40th Anniversary (at the right price and condition) My 100 series Ute is a GXV (They dropped the Sahara name from 1998 to 2002 or until the 5 speed Auto came out) and came with Velour seats (I think they did this because the LX470 came out in 1998 and that had leather and they did not want the LC 100 to compete with the same spec)

Meet this bloke off roading at the weekend he breaks 80 Series, he must have the parts. [email protected] I'm getting some parts from him to fix up mine, GREAT DAY playing in the mud at Tixover only 2 cruises in the mud Gavin had one to tow his play truck.

Back