Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Electrical failure warning lights on and wont start

Fordson1954

Country Flag
uk
The batteries on my LC3 150 auto went flat after not using it much during lockdown and so I replaced them last week (tried charging them off the car and they wouldn’t go much above 12.5v so I am happy they were knackered . I put Vaseline on the posts (a mistake I’m sure) before I tightened them up and I think one or more of the terminals worked a bit loose due to vaseline. I drove about 2 miles and the battery light came on. I am guessing due to loose connection. Carried on driving (mistake) On the way back several warning lights came on and battery light went off. ABS, Traction control, brakes, power steering and then engine management. Also speedo, windows, indicators failed. When I got home I put it in park and it wouldn’t move. When I turned it off it wouldn’t turn back on. So, tried an OBD2 reader from a friend but it wouldn’t power up. Checked the obd fuse and fuse holder which is in a fuse box under dash with multimeter and no power across fuse holder but fuse intact. No live to OBD port in car even when ignition on or engine running (due to no power to fuse presumably).

Disconnected batteries, cleaned off all Vaseline, pressed horn to discharge residual current, left for 2 hours to see if codes cleared, managed to start engine with a method described in owner’s manual, Engine management light off but others still on and all other things still failed. Any suggestions?

Is the Battery Warning light still on? Im no means an expert, But it could be alternator related... Not sure of the 150, But other Land cruiser Models show a full display of warning lights etc, When the alternator is Shot, Or on its way out.... This maybe have a bearing on the knackered Batteries in the first place... Pure guess work from me But something to Ponder...

Is the Battery Warning light still on? Im no means an expert, But it could be alternator related... Not sure of the 150, But other Land cruiser Models show a full display of warning lights etc, When the alternator is Shot, Or on its way out.... This maybe have a bearing on the knackered Batteries in the first place... Pure guess work from me But something to Ponder...
Thanks for replying. I will check alternator later. All disconnected overnight and charging batteries at moment after someone recommended charging batteries to get voltage up and leaving all terminals disconnected for a longer period and residual current discharged by pressing horn for 10 seconds.

Just out of interest, what did you do?

When you started it, what voltage are you getting at the battery terminals when its running?
Thanks, will try voltage when running later. See other post. Method to start is with vehicle in park as normal, foot on brake as normal, press starter button and hold in for 15 seconds.

Thanks for replying. I will check alternator later. All disconnected overnight and charging batteries at moment after someone recommended charging batteries to get voltage up and leaving all terminals disconnected for a longer period and residual current discharged by pressing horn for 10 seconds.
So charged batteries fully, left it disconnected overnight, reconnected and had to use 15 second press to start, warnings still on. No battery warning. Checked with multimeter and showing about 12.8 volts and no difference when revving engine. Looks like may be alternator fault as you suggested.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hope you have narrowed it down, I only mentioned it because iv seen a few Land cruisers with the dash board lit up like a Xmas tree... And it always resulted in a Knackered alternator, Good luck.......

Thank you. I am thinking it is the alternator now. Going to check all connections and clean up and take it from there.

Yep Alternators are touchy on the 150
Thanks everyone. Finally got it resolved but took it to garage. Alternator had failed. This could explain some high pitched howling that i heard on a couple of drives before the lights came on but wrongly thought it was transmission related due to lack of use in lockdown. Reason why internal fuse box not live was due to failure of the 120 Amp main alternator fuse (slow blow fuse apparently) £20+ from Toyota. Main fuse box in engine bay had to come out to release old fuse that is bolted in from underneath. There is a post about doing this on an FJ cruiser if anyone needs to do it. Quite a job to get it apart by the looks of it. So new alternator, fuse and diagnostics used to reset everything and working fine now.

Back