Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Electrical Gremlin

Tommo&Claire

Garage
Fellas,

Having only just resolved my squealing bearing issue i went out this morning, put the key in the ignition and when i turned it instead of the starter motor and D4D i expected to hear i got only a 'click' noise.

So i turned the key back and tried again and it started.

This has happened a couple of times throughout the day?

Any ideas....

Transponder in the key not registering when the key's inserted into the ignition and deactivating the immobiliser? I don't know whether the 90/95 has a transponder in the key but I imagine it does ;)

Otherwise there may be a bad connection to the starter motor somewhere (a relay or maybe even the solenoid). Could just be an electrical gremlin with the immobiliser system.

Cheers,

If the transponder is dodgy or did not register, the immobiliser light will flash rapidly.
If you heard a heavy click, it could be dodgy contacts in the starter solenoid. I had to replace them once, symptoms exactly the same.

MUX has done this to me a couple of times recently - its like the starter motor has stuck in or there's not enough juice to turn him over...

Key out; gear change from park to neutral; try again; off we go...

Pooh... Screwed alternator/screwed battery(s)/screwed 'lectrics/screwed starter motor...

Sorry not to be vay techical but I suspect its not vay technical as the 80 ain't vay technical...

MUX has been wading recently too & has happened only since then...

Not sure if it's just a Toyota thing but more often than not that symptom turns out to be the starter solenoid contacts having worn away and sometimes they just don't make a good enough contact. On the 80's and 100 it's good PM to change the contacts so you know what's in there - had to do my old 80, just done my 100, the contacts are not very expensive. If that's your problem the worry is that occasionaly, instead of failing to make contact they fail to seperate when you let go of the key and the starter keeps going and there have been instances or burnt out starter and some wiring so personaly at the first hint of this I'd change the contacts even if it turns out to be something else!

Sadly my 120 has also started displaying this issue. Not as frequent as yours, but about 3-4 times over the past 2 weeks.... Is this another legacy of Salisbury plain :roll:
Crispin said:
If you heard a heavy click, it could be dodgy contacts in the starter solenoid. I had to replace them once, symptoms exactly the same
Yup same symptoms, did you replace these yourself and how much?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
TonyP said:
Sadly my 120 has also started displaying this issue. Not as frequent as yours, but about 3-4 times over the past 2 weeks.... Is this another legacy of Salisbury plain :roll:
Crispin said:
If you heard a heavy click, it could be dodgy contacts in the starter solenoid. I had to replace them once, symptoms exactly the same
Yup same symptoms, did you replace these yourself and how much?

Bloody hell, this is turning into a LR forum...
"Hey everybody, I went on a dirt track in my defender and now my door handle fell off"

The last outing to Salisbury is not helping with the reliability claims of the LC. :cry:

I changed the contacts on my Nissan 1400 back in SA. Was a very simple job. Being a 1400 and the bakkie being vertical in front of me, made it simple. I suspect the LC would be a bit more difficult.
IIRC, removing the bash plate grants some easy access to the starter.

Crispin said:
Bloody hell, this is turning into a LR forum...
"Hey everybody, I went on a dirt track in my defender and now my door handle fell off"

The last outing to Salisbury is not helping with the reliability claims of the LC. :cry:

I'm pleased to report I have had no problems following the outing ;) Except for some water in the right headlight. All sorted now.

Sorry to hear you guys have had some issues though. :(

Cheers Guys, overalls back on then, don't think the bonnet has ever been up as much as it has this last two weeks.

Right all obvious stuff like connections and earths checked and nothing found. So i rang Mr T and he quoted me £84 and a part number of 28140 77090 which on Toyo DIY comes up as HOLDER ASSY, STARTER BRUSH, is he right?

That is not the right part. the contacts are

Starter kit, battery terminal 28226-54320 (12v 2.7KW and 3.0KW) or 28226-76100 (12v 2.2KW)
starter kit, motor terminal 28226-54220 (12v 2.7KW and 3.0KW) or 28226-72010 (12v 2.2KW)
Plunger, magnet switch 28235-17030 (12v 2.7KW and 3.0KW) or 28235-35080 (12v 2.2KW)

Does anyone how to find out what power rating the starter is in this case? Is there a plate on the starter?

I'm only seeing one set of part numbers listed for Tommo's VIN number in the EPC (for the 2.7KW and the 3KW) :

28226-54320 battery terminal
28226-54220 motor terminal
28235-17030 plunger

BTW there is a mistake in my post, could someone change it?

Plunger, magnet switch 28235-17030 (12v 2.7KW and 3.0KW) or 28235-35080 (12v 2.2KW)

Looks like you have a 2.7KW or 3.0KW starter, makes sense as Toyota supply them with their winter pack (dual batteries, random heaters which are expensive to replace etc :lol:)

{Admin - all done ;) }

This is a job I would plan to do on any Landcruiser regardless of miles as part of baseline maintenance for your ownership. If it turns out the old contacts/plunger are ok just bag them up and keep them as spares for the next 100k miles!

Your solenoid / contacts will look a lot like the ones in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7073

Dunno what the D4D is like, but taking the starter off the 1KZ-TE is not something that you would choose to do. Helps to be double jointed and very patient. Having strong arms and a very tiny head plus child's hands could be an advantage as well. :lol: :roll:

Chris

Just had a look and concur with Chris's assessment that this is not a job for me, where's Ecky......

So, parts i need:

28226-54320 battery terminal
28226-54220 motor terminal
28235-17030 plunger

What a week.

I guess that description wasn't far off Tommo. Sorry Les, I didn't have you in mind when I said it. No, honestly. But you will fit nicely into that wheel arch.

Chris

On an 80 the top bolt is a bit tricky but the right combination of socket, 75mm extension, knuckle, long 250mm extension makes it easy. You might want to make a note of that Chris ;) :lol:

Back