Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Email help please.

frank rabbets

Guru
I have tiscali email address which is now with talktalk. I used to use windows live mail but after turning to Windows 10 this does not work. I cant use Windows mail as there is no address book so I turned to talktalk server which has talktalk mail. After getting used to this they now want to charge me and if I agree I'll end up with a complicated contract. If I don't sign up with them will they still forward emails to my computer FOC? If so can I download a programme like windows live mail or talktalk mail?

Thanks

Tiscali won't send to your computer, but your computer can pull from Tiscali. If you use Windows mail you can set the POP3 settings in the accounts tab to connect to Tiscali.

The POP3 settings are here (scroll down for the Tiscali settings) :https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Email-settings-IMAP-amp-POP3/ta-p/2204399

That mentions IMAP too, which is more flexible, but I think you need the paid for Windows mail to use that. POP3 set up in Windows mail described here
https://support.combell.com/en/how-...in-windows-live-mail-pop3-imap-basic-mail/503

Hi Frank
I use something called "Thunderbird Mail" and have done for many years now, it will work with any ISP and it is totally free, and it does have a address book built in and if you set it up as "Imap" then you can view on any PC

Important to know the difference between IMAP and POP3: With imap there is a 2 way exchange of information, messages and their status. I.e. if you have your mail on a pc and a smartphone, and then delete a message on the smartphone, the message will be gone on your pc as well. Equally, if you send a message from one unit, it will show up in the sent folder on all units. As the smartphone fills up quickly, you will want to delete messages without loosing them on your office computer, which means that imap is no good without having to spend time on managing messages and archives before you can delete anything.
With the older pop3 on the other hand, you only fetch new messages to any and all of your units, and can delete on one unit without affecting the others.
Then there is server space to consider: With imap, everything is stored on both the server (isp) and your units, if you don't mess with archiving. With pop3, you set up one of your connected units to delete messages on the server after a certain time, e.g. 1 month, so that you can be sure of getting them to all your units, and also delete from server before your alotted storage is filled up.

Last edited:
I use Yahoo mail which is as far as i can tell non affiliated because i've had it maybe 15 years and i've changed service providers i don't know how many times .

Back