Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

End of diesel overland travelling in Europe.

I think that's because it's not registered as a goods vehicle or a campervan.

How do they police this ?

Number plate recognition and a fine in the post maybe ?

I’ve just checked my ‘94 reg 80 and it is not exempt from the LEZ charges

I’ve just checked my ‘98 reg 80 and it is also exempt from the LEZ charges which I find puzzling for an old vehicle that has no fancy electronic fuelling system, doesn’t use Adblue, no CAT or DPF.

Exactly. Makes no sense. At first I thought maybe there was a grace period while the scheme was being introduced. Luckily I don’t have to drive my own car into the C-charge zone very often but by now this glitch must have saved me a couple of hundred pounds.

I think that's because it's not registered as a goods vehicle or a campervan.

The wider LEZ area only applies to commercials and campers but the central London T-charge definitely includes private cars.

How do they police this ?

Number plate recognition and a fine in the post maybe ?

Yes. Same system as the C-charge. Blanket ANPR and a letter in the post if you don’t pay within a set period.

I just checked my 1999 1KZ-TE Colorado Auto and it says cough up ten quid a day. Would have thought that the 95 would have had better emissions than an 80.

There seems to be some confusion on here, some are talking about the LEZ, some are talking about the congeston charge, Some are talking about the T charge, but they seem to be being discussed in the same breath. They are entirely different (although the T charge and congestion charge are related) so you need to be certain your all taking about the same thing, at the moment you aren't.

Just to really throw a spanner in the works, soon to come, from a mayoral twat near you, is the ULEZ. It's now becoming just stupidly complex so only those issuing the fines will actually understand WTF is going on!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There seems to be some confusion on here, some are talking about the LEZ, some are talking about the congeston charge, Some are talking about the T charge, but they seem to be being discussed in the same breath. They are entirely different (although the T charge and congestion charge are related) so you need to be certain your all taking about the same thing, at the moment you aren't.

That’s the point I made above and that’s why it’s surprising to find privately-owned 90s diesel trucks exempt.

My original post said that according to TfL my 1998 LC is wrongly classified as Euro 4 on their system and is therefore exempt from the stealth tax on private motorists that applies to the area between Old St and Marble Arch and Marylebone Road and the Elephant. I have been in and out of the C-zone since the introduction of the T-charge without any fines. The same glitch seems to apply to Towpack.

If you want to avoid the lot, get a motorcycle. More fun too! :thumbup:

Bristol is bunged up with road works to make busses more user frendly bath is going to introduce a lez in the near future think i will buy meself some decent footwear and purchase a donkey

Bristol is bunged up with road works to make busses more user frendly bath is going to introduce a lez in the near future think i will buy meself some decent footwear and purchase a donkey

Bath and Bristol would whack a methane tax on that.

Hmm, I wasn’t aware of the T charge but haven’t visited the C charge zone for years. It seems both my 1994 HDJ81 is not exempt and neither is our 2005 Space Star. Just checked and the cursed Smart car is exempt. :dance: Well it is Petrol!!

<<Sorry for the thread deflection>>

H'mmm, interesting......not that I am planning to do overland trips in any of the 3 cars in the household but this thread did make me check the LEZ status for them;

1997 Toyota Landcruiser Colorado 3.4 (Petrol/LPG) - Exempt
2001 Toyota Yaris 1.3 (Petrol) - Exempt
2006 BMW 335d (Diesel) - Exempt

I'm sure, as usually with these things, they will slowly raise (lower?) the emissions criteria, to exclude more and more cars in the future. TBH, I can't see either the Beemer or the Cruiser staying on the exclusion list for long.

The rules for the T-charge are very clear and concise so it’s a bit of a mystery why they seem to be applied willy-nilly.

352EE136-9B8B-45D6-A98E-C09BBC66BE60.png

Looks like it’s already happening, the price gap between diesel and petrol appears to be stretching.
They don't have to make running illegal, just unaffordable.

Last edited:
Yes. Same system as the C-charge. Blanket ANPR and a letter in the post if you don’t pay within a set period.

So emissions rules don't actually matter a damn if you can afford the fees .

Back