Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine noise

Niko

Country Flag
croatia
Hi all,
Recently I noticed noise near engine like something is grinding, it is loudest on front left side.
After starting car it didn't make that sound but when I drive it for few minutes it starts to make that noise and even if I turn it off and on again it makes that noise.
Did anyone have any similar problem or can suggest what could be wrong?

Here is short video

You say front left but the video concentrates on front right...

I'd try and rule out the ancillaries like the alternator, ac compressor, viscous heater (if you have one) etc. You can use the old trick of a long screwdriver as a stethoscope to pinpoint the noise. Be careful you dont catch it on the belt or the pulleys though obviously!

I can't hear anything unusual to be honest, if twer me i'd remove the auxilliary drive belt and then run the engine, if the noise is still there remove the cambelt cover and see if its coming from there, the cambelt and its tensioner/idler is the thing you don't want to fail.

Note before removing the aux belt make sure the sticker showing the belt's route is in place, if not take a pic or make a diagram so you know exactly how the belt runs, some of the runs are a bit complex.

Back