Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine oil recommendation

nathanrobo

Service is due again! I've noticed that most oil brands have increased in price by some way, but gone down from 5 litres to 4.

In the 1HD FTE its nearly 12 litres to fill which is three cans, plus filter, flushing oil etc etc.

Anyone recommendations for an oil that's good quality without being the usual rip off?

I put Asda oil in my old alfa recently but I'm not sure I'd risk the LC

Forgetting the flushing oil would help cost.

Hmm

Looking to save a bit of cash but not by doing half a job :-0

There's a bit of discussion at the moment with supermarket oils that appear to meet a long list of specs including B3 or B4 for Diesel and MB spec which has always been high. Question is... would you?

Using flushing oil every service in a well maintained car is as necessary as using that tyre gel that makes tyres look really black and shiny every time you wash your car. In fact some of us would tell you that it causes more harm than good.

If you want cheap oil that works try your Toyota dealer, they usually have it on discount. If not try this Fuchs oil, it is far better than you need and reasonably priced, especially if you buy the 20l drum. (remember to use your club discount)

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-990-fuchs-t ... e-oil.aspx

Nathan

I will be in need of an oil change for my 1HD-FTE in the early part of next year and am happy to take 12L off your hands if you want to try and get a bulk discount somewhere?

Otherwise I might just go down the castrol magnatec route again as it seems to have done a good job this time round.

Do you guys really get 12l out at each service? On my HD-FT I get around 9-9.5l on each service and the engines are not that different? So you might be able to save some money and just buy 2 x 5l...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Definitely need more than 10 litres based on previous experience. I've delayed things a bit, trying to get confirmation of where I can tap into oil under pressure from the oil pump. I plan to fit a centrifuge with a serviceable rotor cap (rather than the disposable spinner used on some Landrovers).

This should significantly reduce engine where over time - extending engine life and oil service intervals.

On a long trip yesterday I past 333.333 km on the clock :thumbup: ...so I have changed oil quite a few times on this engine now. I change every 15.000 km. Filter + 11,8L of 5W/40 Super (full. synt.) named IQ-X. I never have to top up between intervals. 5L is 38 UK-money :roll:

Just to share my experience on how to keep the 4,2TDI happy...it works for me at least :whistle:

Greetings

Lars

I use Morris's oils. In fact I bought 5 x 25L drums as the type I use is for petrol and diesels. Turned out to be a really good investment but I'm dreading running out. 2 drums left.

Frank

Hey Rob

Thanks for the link to Opie oils! The 20 litres looks like a good deal!

No problem

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

Nathan
"frenco service replacements ltd" I don't know if you have a place by you but Morris's could point you there. Several of my friends who are carnuts use Morris Oils.

Frank

nathanrobo said:
Definitely need more than 10 litres based on previous experience. I've delayed things a bit, trying to get confirmation of where I can tap into oil under pressure from the oil pump. I plan to fit a centrifuge with a serviceable rotor cap (rather than the disposable spinner used on some Landrovers).

This should significantly reduce engine where over time - extending engine life and oil service intervals.

Learned that Scania trucks have centrifugal oil cleaner... Maybe you can scavenge one of those?

I have a few retro-fit centrifuges (the type with a servicable rotor, so that you can inspect the soot cake). But I've decided to sell the 100 series, so maybe look at fitting to the replacement.

Back