Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine Oil

Julian

So whats your favorite?
I have looked in my hand book and it says I can use either
5w -30 for -29deg C to 8deg C,
10w -30 for -18 deg C to 38deg C+,
15w -40 for -10deg C to 38deg C+,
I can't see it getting colder than -10 and I can see it getting warmer than 8deg C I should be looking at the 2 higher temp oils, what do you use?

i use 10w 40 in every vehicle i have and had. It seems to be the best choice for this climate unless you are going for expensive fully synthetics.

Yay, an engine oil thread finally - probably the most subjective topic we ever get onto :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The wider the temp range, the more you're going to pay, so a 5W-50 is serious money compared with say 15w-40.
15W-40 is probably adequate for 99% of UK use. If you're worried about winter chills, then go for the 10W-40.

Now, are going for mineral, semi- or fully-synthetic? What Total Base No, what sulphated ash content etc? :lol: Happy yet?

To answer your question, I am currently running 15W-40 semi-synthetic, next oil change will be 10W-40 semi-syn from Toyota (Castrol?) that was on special at Roughtrax.

I don't know whether your fancier version of our basic 4.2l lumps requires anything special but I am guessing it'll be happy with regular changes of any reasonable quality oil in the afore-mentioned grades ;)

Cheers,

Andrew Prince said:
Yay, an engine oil thread finally - probably the most subjective topic we ever get onto :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thought it was about time :lol:

I am not sure whether semi or fully synthetic, open to advice really

Depends whether you want to push the service interval a bit. Also if you're running "inferior" fuels, i.e. in Africa where there may be more contaminants in the fuel which build up in the oil (high sulphur for example causes a build up of acids in the oil) a fancier oil with a greater additive pack would be better.

I think regular oil changes at the recommended service interval is at least as improtant as the particular flavour of oil you're using, if not more so!

But if you're operating on Euro-spec diesel and changing oil every 5k or so, then fully-syn is overkill IMHO.
If you want to spend lots of money on fancy oils, then by all means do so but I don't think LC engines are going to notice the difference between a reasonable oil and top of the range (not sure about the d-4Ds - they seem to be a bit fussier?)

Perhaps others have different experiences?

I stuck in expensive fully-synthetic oil in my 120 when I did my own oil change - it's now running genuine Toyota (semi-synth, I think??) and there is no discernible difference that I can tell. I'll be doing my pre-France oil change in the next few weeks, and will be (trying) to drop the sump to check the oil pick-up pipe. But I will be running some Toyota engine flush through first ;)

Given that I do an oil change in-between services on the 120, and annual mileage is low and mostly motorway, I don't know that I get much from synthetics - the dino-gloop doesn't really get a chance to break down much before it's gone again. Admittedly, the consistency of molecule size and shape in full synthetic oil is an interesting debate, but I don't think it's that important for my use parameters.

Now - about diff-oil, then ...
:lol: :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Silkolene PRO S 5W-40 in mine. Can I tell a difference? No but I didn't expect to, it just needs all the help it can get when I'm thrashing it :mrgreen:

10-40 for me, i found when i use 15-40 i get the " Ticking noise "

I would say 10w40 semi synthetic from tesco fits the bill for me , factoring the cold weather in the Highlands , This is going in the D4D ,
In the 1kz-te it was the mineral also from tesco , and it never used a drop in all the years we ran it ,for us to come south its around trip of at least 1200 miles and never used a drop ,

ATB

Hi guys, what would recommend for a region the gets to 40C in summer? Working a 4x4 in these temp needs a decent oil, I alway will go for an over kill on good oil for those extream cases.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4

Sorry but i am not expert but i want to share with you my personal opinion.Actually Bosch engine oil really good for vehicles in any condition and temperature.

For me it's been Morris's Multivis for many years. Exceeds the spec of Mobil1, semi synthetic and has shown no appreciable wear to my BEBs that came with my grey import 81 over the last 11 years and 65000 miles. And Morris's can be contacted for advice, and they're an independent British company. Just get the right grade for the temp range the vehicle mostly operates in.

What interval are most people using? What would be the advantage of 10W-40 over 5W-30?

Someone's done a bit of a thread resurrection, but there is an interesting bit in there for me....

10-40 for me, i found when i use 15-40 i get the " Ticking noise "

This is interesting for me... I've got a ticking noise in my 4Runner at the moment, and I've been wondering if it's lubricant related... I run a 10W-40 Semi syn (Shell Helix HX7), and have done for the last 30,000km. However, it's cooled off a bit now up here and when it's cold the ticking is more prominent; does this match your ticking noise experience?

Someone's done a bit of a thread resurrection, but there is an interesting bit in there for me....

This is interesting for me... I've got a ticking noise in my 4Runner at the moment, and I've been wondering if it's lubricant related... I run a 10W-40 Semi syn (Shell Helix HX7), and have done for the last 30,000km. However, it's cooled off a bit now up here and when it's cold the ticking is more prominent; does this match your ticking noise experience?

You'll find a thicker oil will help quieten down the engine, mainly that ticking noise you're hearing which is the valves on the head I presume.

Over here in the states 5 litres of Full Synthetic Mobile 1 can be picked up for about $25 (sale price $20). That's about 16 pounds! Cheap Hay?

I've always used the 10W 30 stuff, mineral all of the engines life. Will be swapping to synthetic when the truck gets to the states and will see if I notice any difference!

Back