Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine problem with 120

george/sem

Hi guys,i'm not new to landcruisers,i have had a few 80 series and a lot of 90 series,,,
I have just bought a 2007 120 lc4 and think i have a problem with the engine,,when i start it from cold the engine sounds like a very loud diesel knock,this gets better when it warms up,when i st at lights in drive there is a vibration that goes through motor,,it is worse in reverse,,when i put it in neutral it goes away..
i have checked gearbox and engine mounts and the revs are fine as well. (Help please)

Last edited:
Loose alternator or starter motor ? Is there any smoke ?

Hi thanks for the link,yes the engine mounts on this model are controlled with the ECU vacuum system,probably cost a fortune to replace.
have a look at this pretty long thread about noisy injectors

http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?12443-diesel-rattle-in-D4D-Prado

Is the vibration something silly like a poorly fitted exhaust touching something once you load up the engine?

im sure Gary on here had problems with engine mounts and im sure depending on model that they have quite hi tec mounts but il wait for Gary to comment further on that.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have this knocking first thing when i drive up the hill, even the same just after an oil change, if i keep the speed down to 25mph for 5mins it just goes!
It does sound like the main bearings are just about to fail! I will be reading the above link with interest as its about 150 pages so must be some good info in there!!!

Simon

I get more like a rattle ( a bit like a petrol car pinking under a lean fuel mix) when cold which after going through the 150 pages on the above link seems pretty normal. it only does it under a certain throttle position (being very light on the throttle while is warms up), if you open it up a bit it dissapears. and when warm its quite all the time. but if you say you have a knock i would look further into it. Have you checked your oil pick up strainer? or checked if your car is affected by the injector washer issue?

I get more like a rattle ( a bit like a petrol car pinking under a lean fuel mix) when cold which after going through the 150 pages on the above link seems pretty normal. it only does it under a certain throttle position (being very light on the throttle while is warms up), if you open it up a bit it dissapears. and when warm its quite all the time. but if you say you have a knock i would look further into it. Have you checked your oil pick up strainer? or checked if your car is affected by the injector washer issue?
Thinking about it you are quite right, a rattle but quite loud, all the engine has been stripped on the bottom end with new shells, pickup and new oil pump etc. So not really worried in that area it's just very noisy at 6am on a quiet Estate!
I have this knocking first thing when i drive up the hill, even the same just after an oil change, if i keep the speed down to 25mph for 5mins it just goes!
It does sound like the main bearings are just about to fail! I will be reading the above link with interest as its about 150 pages so must be some good info in there!!!

Simon

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Thinking about it you are quite right, a rattle but quite loud, all the engine has been stripped on the bottom end with new shells, pickup and new oil pump etc. So not really worried in that area it's just very noisy at 6am on a quiet Estate!

And the injected washer issue has also been done with Mr T

I wonder if those with a tunit or something similar suffer the same problem ?

I can confirm that yes its the same with a tuning box. I have the tdi tuning box fitted.

I have filled my tank with shell v power diesel this time and it does sound quieter from cold.

I had the same or very similar with my 2006 120 d4d, I now run on best quality diesel, shell v power or total exellum along with 1 in 300 two stroke oil, every 10 th tank full I use a injector cleaning agent, took 3000 klms but the death rattle / knocking and banging has gone.
Works for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had the same or very similar with my 2006 120 d4d, I now run on best quality diesel, shell v power or total exellum along with 1 in 300 two stroke oil, every 10 th tank full I use a injector cleaning agent, took 3000 klms but the death rattle / knocking and banging has gone.
Works for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have a look at mine and others experience from Australia. http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?38487-Oh-dear-engine-issue

Not to be ignored.

I wonder if those with a tunit or something similar suffer the same problem ?

i run a tunit mate
but mine's always been a dustbin full of hammers when cold
it's not a nice engine to hear first thing in the morning ;)

Just wondered if its a fueling problem deliberately introduced to keep tree huggers happy is all .

Just read all of that link. worth checking the pickup every time you change the oil. even if it is through the drain hole. I took my sump off and had a good look all around. it was all clear on my LC and i now have piece of mind. and also a nicely painted sump while i had it off:)

Just read all of that link. worth checking the pickup every time you change the oil. even if it is through the drain hole. I took my sump off and had a good look all around. it was all clear on my LC and i now have piece of mind. and also a nicely painted sump while i had it off:)

I think thats part of it. The other part if the injectors over-fuelling, which shows up on Techstream. Do that for too long and you can damage a piston through combustion heat.

Works for me

I agree with merventdave. Have only been using quality diesel with two stroke oil (every now & again). You should hear and feel difference pretty soon! Best of luck!

Hi guy's ,been a while since i have been on,,,Thanks for all your advice and help..
I ended up selling the motor after i made sure it was ok,i run it into a Toyota main dealer as it had full warranty with it and they assured me it was as it should be.
Just wish i had not sold it to a total "Arse" as i have had a load of emails back from him because he cant read or listen,
But that's what happens when you get junk mail,you file it in the trash,lol.

Last edited:
Back