Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine Warning light has come on

warrenpfo

2003 Amazon 4.2 TD.

Today the amber engine warning light has come on when I have been driving. The light illuminated shortly after I noted a significant decrease in power when accelerating from standstill or when accelerating out of a roundabout. The power loss would be recognised then about 2 seconds later the light would appear and stay illuminated until I stopped the engine and restarted it - then it would be reset and may not appear for a few weeks. The power loss noted in advance of the warning light illuminating is only periodic - the engine power is always restored soon after the light comes on.

Any help appreciated

It should be storing a code which might help you find out what the ECU thinks is going wrong. Either get your Toyota dealer to read the codes for you or use the FSM to make the light flash it out to you :)

Will get it flashed out and come back to you...if i can work out how to

Right please excuse the ignorance but i cant seem to find the jumper DLC1 or DLC2 to get the code to flash. Jon would you be able to point me in the right direction.

Is what i am looking for in the engine bay or under the drivers side by the stearing wheel?

Think i have to short 4 and 13 from what i understand.

I don't know if the diesel is different but there's a Toyota diagnostics socket in the engine bay, on the inside of the drivers side wing, has a flip top and then there's an ODBII connector up alongside the brake pedal which I think is DLC3.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Got it in the drivers side foot well a big whit plug..looks like

I think that one might be DLC3, looks like an ODBII connector (they don't talk ODBII though :( )

Jon according to the WSM you short pin 4 and 13 and turn on the ignition to get the flashing code??

Or have i got it wrong

I will go take another look in the engine bay....

If CG & TC terminate in the under bonnet diagnostics connector I'd use that just because it's more accessible otherwise go with the pin numbers the book tells you for DLC3.

Right after shorting wire 4 and 13 lots of interesting things happened.

Firstly the nav screen comes up with a Vehicle Diagnostics test screen and some other options which I did not play with and secondly i get the error code 34.

So any ideas as to where i start??

If its of any help it seems to only happen when i put my foot down/accelerate.

Perhaps start with a visual inspection of everything connected to the turbo ? Being intermittant I'd be surprised if it's the turbo unit itself, they tend to either work or not, beyond that though I'm not much help, I've been skimming petrol information not diesel.

When in 2003 is your cruisah manufactured? (changes from August onwards)

That must be the turbo with adjustable pressure controlled by a vacuum actuator (from Aug 2002). Is the vacuum solenoid OK?

She is a March 2003 with the 4 speed box.

I have just returned from a 350mile trip to Dorset with out any problems so will do further investigation online to see if anyone else over on Mud has had the same problem.

Exactly the same has just happened to me after a fairly quick trip across Switzeland and France.
The power dropped suddenly and the revs wouldn't go over 2000.
And the engine warning light went on
I stopped and the light went out and the car seems to be fine - let's see what happens in the morning!

Dengskis
Exactly the same has just happened to me after a fairly quick trip across Switzeland and France.
The power dropped suddenly and the revs wouldn't go over 2000.
And the engine warning light went on
I stopped and the light went out and the car seems to be fine - let's see what happens in the morning!

All,
Prob been thrashed to death but here goes.
My brothers 2001 ( I think ) 4.2 TD auto. Engine light comes on but no change in engine performance.
Goes to the shops, has a reset and 2 hours out of the shop, light comes back on again.
Has had everthing done by the manufacturers and auto elects but no joy.
Even replaced the computer. Still no good.

Any thoughts

Lamby

Just a follow up.

The error seem to be associated with " Ign Shutoff "

Don't know if that helps

Lamby

Back