Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

erratic temp rises and black water in expansion tank

Mark Meggy

Evening.
Wonder if anyone can give me a bit of hope on this one.
My manual 1kz-te has suddenly started having rather erratic temperature rises.
used to run just under halfway mark no problems, now she is using water like crazy and the water in the expansion bottle when she is cold is black in colour...

could it be my worst fears are being realised and if so does anyone know where i can get a good head from in the berkshire or surrounding areas. I need to resolve this asap, it is freaking me out!
Ta people.
Mark

Mark, that doesn't sound like typical terminal head syndrome. OK it doesn't sound good, and I can't think of anything off hand, but usually white exhaust 'smoke' on cold start up is the symptom of a 'cracker'.

C

Cheers Chris for coming back so quickly.
As far as exhaust smoke goes, it is always clear unless i don`t warm the glowers and turn it once, stop and then turn to start, almost like a greyish blue smoke, like unburnt fuel or summat. There doesn't seem to be any major water leaks that i can see but like i say it would seem as though it is using an awful lot of water and coolant.

Take your rad out and get it flow checked. Could be partially blocked forcing water out of the rad cap into the bottle along with all the crud in the water. Another thing could be the rad cap is u/s and not holding pressure , allowing the water to boil off. Worth looking at first before going down the head route. If yours is a SWB it wont have a rear heater so that rules out rotten pipes underneath. Any loose or rusted hose clips anywhere?

Mark Meggy said:
Evening.
Wonder if anyone can give me a bit of hope on this one.
My manual 1kz-te has suddenly started having rather erratic temperature rises.
used to run just under halfway mark no problems, now she is using water like crazy and the water in the expansion bottle when she is cold is black in colour...

could it be my worst fears are being realised and if so does anyone know where i can get a good head from in the berkshire or surrounding areas. I need to resolve this asap, it is freaking me out!
Ta people.
Mark
Mark, you and I sound like we have a similar problem, my 1HT-D 80 was using water on a recent trip to Morocco but seems to have stopped now we are home but, she is pressurising the rad and 'venting' into the header tank. I have a fairly new rad in mine so I know it isn't a rad issue.

Have a sniff of your header tank, mine smells like some sort of burnt gas... probably exhaust gasses :cry:

My truck still drives fine though.

yip, got the same smell, like a weird gas smell...
going to the workshop tomorrow to do a sniff test and check all the hoses, clips and ultimately rad.
really hoping it aint the gasket or head but we shall see.
thanks for all the replies chaps, i shall keep you posted on the results.
Nice!
Mark.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
soooo... after a long day here is the result.
it would seem that the gasket has gone between the waterways and exhaustways in the head. this is why she is using sooo much water and smells like gas in the expansion bottle and rad. So head is coming off and going for pressure testing and skimming, hopefully it is not cracked!!! new decoke kit going in. new water pump going in. rad getting flushed and reviewed, possibly replaced. aircon condensor and pump coming out and being replaced with an LR intercooler, perhaps. so fingers crossed it aint cracked and is only a gasket related failure...
@ Paul : check your head mate, it sounds all too similair!

Back