Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

EU exit road issues

pyemaster

Garage
Warning, this will be a short rant.

I hate getting into political discussion online as it almost always ends up like talking about religion, but thought I'd flag this if you'd not seen it yet:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-wave-of-red-tape-for-uk-drivers-and-hauliers

Not content with stripping millions of young UK people with the opportunity to live and work in 27 other countries, or stopping hardworking European people from propping up our beloved NHS, now it could end up being a total nightmare for those of us who enjoy the simple pleasure of roadtripping on the continent. Thanks a bunch.

If you voted leave, happy yet?

Owen

I have a French License cos I live here. I dont think for a min that Europe wants to stop Brit holiday makers and truckers driving on EU roads. But if you are living within the EU then you will have to get a license for the country your living in. A lot of dodgy bulders driving brit vans with brit reg numbers with brit licenses might not be too happy though :)

I have a French License cos I live here. I dont think for a min that Europe wants to stop Brit holiday makers and truckers driving on EU roads. But if you are living within the EU then you will have to get a license for the country your living in. A lot of dodgy bulders driving brit vans with brit reg numbers with brit licenses might not be too happy though :)

Agreed Steve. I’m in the process of swapping my UK license for a Romanian one, but what I don’t understand is why I can’t have both?

Some folks have more than one passport FFS.

Anyway, I’ve come to realize I’d rather argue with a UK cop over a Romanian license than faces with Romanian cop moaning that I haven’t swapped my license within 90 days of entry into Romania.

I can hear it now, “when did you enter Romania?”

“Erm.... 24 April 2001 officer” ...

Warning, this will be a short rant.

I hate getting into political discussion online as it almost always ends up like talking about religion, but thought I'd flag this if you'd not seen it yet:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-wave-of-red-tape-for-uk-drivers-and-hauliers

Not content with stripping millions of young UK people with the opportunity to live and work in 27 other countries, or stopping hardworking European people from propping up our beloved NHS, now it could end up being a total nightmare for those of us who enjoy the simple pleasure of roadtripping on the continent. Thanks a bunch.

If you voted leave, happy yet?

Owen
The answer is simple. The EU are showing their true colours.
My only reason to vote leave was to retain our sovereignty that millions of people lost their lives to defend. I never thought for one minute that they would make it easy. They have to try and make an example of us so nobody else dares to wish to be independent.

Back to the old ways of IDP's etc if you want to drive abroad, although a valid UK license is ok in many non EU countries for holidays.

Hardly the EU punishing us, just reverting to how things used to be IMHO.

It could be argued the reason millions more haven't lost their lives in the last 50 years is because of the EU.

Personally, I'm more than happy to yield a little sovereignty for the greater good - continental peace, a more prosperous economy, an improved quality of life, the freedom to travel and live, cultural inclusivity, better healthcare standards, and playing our part to make our continent a better place to live, rather than marginalising ourselves and risking all of the above simply to feel like we're honouring our fallen.

I bet many of those who bravely gave their lives would have loved nothing more than to know their children and children's children could grow up in a world which showed progression, not regression, where learning and benefiting from others' skills and culture was encouraged, not discouraged, in a world where they would be safe, by being part of something that created unity not division, and not have to suffer long wars on their doorstep the way they did.

I don't think the EU is perfect, far from it - and personally I think with the rise of terrorism the schengen experiment may have to come to an end in its current guise anyway, in my view it makes total sense for member nations to have a little more control over who is allowed to cross borders - but to actively embrace the idea of leaving the EU is such a massive step backwards in my opinion.

In my view, sovereignty or not, we owe it to future generations to give them a world better than the one we inherited.

Owen

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Before the barriers came down I had a spell driving an artic around Europe with exhibition equipment and during that time I was, at various times, impounded, fined, learnt how to bribe officials and spent many hours at customs posts filling in endless paperwork. Meeting delivery deadlines was almost impossible. It was nothing to spend 15 hours at a border, waiting for clearance, etc.
Around the turn of the century I had another spell of European trucking. Easy no hassles and delivery times were met.
And the worst borders were Germany, France and oddly enough the UK.
The Europeans are not going to make it easy, so if you or your business export then keep you delivery times flexible because it will go back to the bad old days.
But now I'm retired in Spain and have a Spanish license
IMO leaving a free trade club to then try to negotiate a free trade deal with the same club is economic suicide but then the UK always took the Brussels rules too seriously. Years ago there was an article re agriculture inspectors, as required by the EU - the UK had 690, Germany was next with 9, France had 6 and everyone else had 1 - but at one they had complied.

Don't get me started....

Regards,
Rodger

David Cameron did a very poor job on his argument for staying in Europe. Had he explained what a nightmare it was going to be I think the vote would have gone the other way.

David Cameron did a very poor job on his argument for staying in Europe. Had he explained what a nightmare it was going to be I think the vote would have gone the other way.
And the EU (and Cameron) did a very poor job of trying to keep us in. Had they compromised and said, ok, no loss of sovereignty and you can control your borders and have a bit more of a rebate to fix your roads and fund your wonderful health service that's now treating a lot more people who cross your border then I think they could have taken the wind out of the referendum completely. But no, it's the plan the whole plan and nothing but the plan and the EU army to keep all the countries in check. It is a shame that it's come to this, I do think we will lose massively in the short term but the 'free trade zone' is, in fact, a cover for a massive protection racket that prevents free trade with other countries in the world. We were forced to turn our backs on the commonwealth by being EU members so how did this affect those developing nations? The long term could be beneficial to the UK as a nation if handled correctly (which it isn't).

Sorry, our country's sovereignty is not for sale.

Your not suggesting EU central powers of occupied Europe would inflict persecution are you ?

Didn't they do that once before .

Im holding myself back from a full blown eu debate..
this is about the next 50+ years, not the short term.
am i happy yet? No, but when we are completely out of this shower of #### then i will be, when the remainers have got over the fact that we are not in Europe then i will be, when the left wing msm stop there negative propaganda then i will be and finally when that waste of skin that is tony blair and that horse that is his wife finally butt out. .

then i will be..

Your not suggesting EU central powers of occupied Europe would inflict persecution are you ?

Didn't they do that once before .
They tried as far as I know.

Going back to one of the original aspects in the op, drivers’ licenses, before we joined Europe, if there was such a time in my lifetime, at 17 + (circa 1971) I drove in France on my UK license, I drove in Belgium, I drove in Luxembourg and I drove in Holland and several years later I drove in the Middle East, in the USA (yes, even a rental in Florida) all on my UK license...

So what is it we’re really “going back to”?

Admittedly, there’s much more to it than drivers licenses, trade papers for import / export and “passing through” will likely revert to something more archaic which might become a nightmare if the EU want it that way...

Again, as we were when we took the Brexit / Remain vote, it’s all speculation, scare-mongering, fake news, whatever we choose to call it, until such time as it happens.

It’s easy for me I know, but I’m quite happy to sit on the fence and watch the show... (or fiasco) and see how clever these overpaid, living on expenses, bags of hot air really are.

I say good luck to those who can stay optimistic, I really do hope the UK can ride this out and come good when the dust settles.

Nothing’s impossible if approached the right way.

Going back to one of the original aspects in the op, drivers’ licenses, before we joined Europe, if there was such a time in my lifetime, at 17 + (circa 1971) I drove in France on my UK license, I drove in Belgium, I drove in Luxembourg and I drove in Holland and several years later I drove in the Middle East, in the USA (yes, even a rental in Florida) all on my UK license...

So what is it we’re really “going back to”?

Admittedly, there’s much more to it than drivers licenses, trade papers for import / export and “passing through” will likely revert to something more archaic which might become a nightmare if the EU want it that way...

Again, as we were when we took the Brexit / Remain vote, it’s all speculation, scare-mongering, fake news, whatever we choose to call it, until such time as it happens.

It’s easy for me I know, but I’m quite happy to sit on the fence and watch the show... (or fiasco) and see how clever these overpaid, living on expenses, bags of hot air really are.

I say good luck to those who can stay optimistic, I really do hope the UK can ride this out and come good when the dust settles.

Nothing’s impossible if approached the right way.
I'm staying optimistic Clive, what they say will happen and what will actually happen could be two wildly different things.

About 20 years ago i didnt need to see the sign on the motorway that was telling me id entered Belgium. I knew instantly because the the car suspension would start working hard, the lighting and signage would look almost cold war era.. that place has done very well out of the eu..

Yes the EU could be managed better, no doubt whatsoever, but I don't see where this fanatical hatred of it has seemingly come from, other than the right wing press.

Hearing people harp on about getting their blue passports back and regaining their sovereign right to pick vegetables and not have to hear foreign languages spoken on the bus. Are you serious?

It's interesting to me that a higher proportion of the leave vote came from the baby boomer generation, you know, the very same one which benefited the most from EU membership over the last 40 years. You didn't mind it while the country wasn't in a world war, the economy was growing steadily and your house prices netted you monumental profits for doing nothing. You think you'd have had the same quality of life you've enjoyed as an adult if the country had been on its own and continuing to fight further wars on its doorstep?

You've been guaranteed fair pay, equal opportunities, and human rights. You've enjoyed clean beaches, a protected environment and better air quality. You've seen a massive reduction in domestic poverty, large funding for poor areas and a fundamental stability economically, and in national security and healthcare. You've enjoyed ease of travel, a lack of red tape and cheap holidays.

Yeah, life was terrible in the EU.

Nevermind, let's now go back to the halcyon days of the first half of the 20th century, bookended by world wars and poverty, but living la vida loca with that sovereignty.

Rant over!

Owen

About 20 years ago i didnt need to see the sign on the motorway that was telling me id entered Belgium. I knew instantly because the the car suspension would start working hard, the lighting and signage would look almost cold war era.. that place has done very well out of the eu..
I remember driving through a Belgium village and seeing rats in the street.

Yes the EU could be managed better, no doubt whatsoever, but I don't see where this fanatical hatred of it has seemingly come from, other than the right wing press.

Hearing people harp on about getting their blue passports back and regaining their sovereign right to pick vegetables and not have to hear foreign languages spoken on the bus. Are you serious?

It's interesting to me that a higher proportion of the leave vote came from the baby boomer generation, you know, the very same one which benefited the most from EU membership over the last 40 years. You didn't mind it while the country wasn't in a world war, the economy was growing steadily and your house prices netted you monumental profits for doing nothing. You think you'd have had the same quality of life you've enjoyed as an adult if the country had been on its own and continuing to fight further wars on its doorstep?

You've been guaranteed fair pay, equal opportunities, and human rights. You've enjoyed clean beaches, a protected environment and better air quality. You've seen a massive reduction in domestic poverty, large funding for poor areas and a fundamental stability economically, and in national security and healthcare. You've enjoyed ease of travel, a lack of red tape and cheap holidays.

Yeah, life was terrible in the EU.

Nevermind, let's now go back to the halcyon days of the first half of the 20th century, bookended by world wars and poverty, but living la vida loca with that sovereignty.

Rant over!

Owen
Yes Owen, a lot of what you say is true, we have benefited in some ways by being in the EU but a lot of those decisions were not of our 'choosing' they were forced on us whether we liked them or not and on the whole the British don't like being told what to do, I think maybe that's why most of the leavers voted the way they did.

Reactions: Ben
Im 40. Pretty much every one I know voted to leave. I love the way we are patronised, "they didnt know what they were voting for". "If only they knew it was going to be this hard" etc etc. I also loved how the bbc would portray a remainer as a smart pin striped suit wearing business manfrom the "city". The camera would then pan to the "brexitier" a toothless smack head from Hartlepool with nine kids in the back ground playing in the burnt out transit and the pitbull shitting on the door step.
were all so uneducated. Why? Because we dont agree with the views of the extreme and very vocal minority left?
the same left who slur people with accusations of being racist and bigoted because we happen not to agree with there views? So much for liberalism eh?

Back