Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Even more woes !!! Can some one help ?

MetalDonkey

Country Flag
uk
During the winter snow , I decided, as you do to play on the slippery surfaces with my 4x4.
I could not get the vehicle into low ratio, no matter how hard I pulled the lever ,all I got was a graunching of gears . I could not get it into neutral . The lever is stuck in High Ratio. My local mechanic tells me that I will have to drop the gearbox for investigation and that will be 8 hours labour , Has anyone ever experienced this type of fault, I am hoping its just a linkage and not a reconditioned gearbox. Any know a good mechanic in London or the south that has the knowledge on LandCruisers..

Auto or manual? How long ago was it last used in 4wd?

Is the main gearbox In neutral when you try low range ?

Auto or manual? How long ago was it last used in 4wd?
Hi There Gr8Yota,
Not to sure , I have only had it for the last 8 months , and tried to use it during the snowy period we recently had.

Is the main gearbox In neutral when you try low range ?
Hi AndyCook , tried it , tried reversing and driving forward slowly ,reving the engine slightly whilst trying to move the lever. Did not work :(

As yours looks like a auto in the pic of the dash lights , the auto box must be in N I always keep my foot on the brakes but I don't know if that is necessary and the vehicle stopped then put the trans box lever up from H past N into L if all is working well it will go into L do not rev it or have it in any gear D or other during the trans box change between high to low . there are two type of transfer box one that just displays H-N-L on the trans box lever which is the later cars and one that shows
H-HL-N-LL on older cars which may need a different way to operate .

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As said above, if it’s an auto, hence me asking. Yes you need to be in neutral on the shifter, either stationary or just rolling sometimes makes a difference. If it’s a manual then try with the clutch disengaged and again just rolling.

Back