Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Eventually started with some jobs

Jake the Peg

Country Flag
scotland
So not many pictures yet but I’ll start with these 2! Having farted about trying hoping for some black magic to stop the knock knock knocking in the engine, I think it finally came!
Replaced the big ends, found #3 was starting to crater but on rebuild it still sounded the same. I used some fuel additive neat to the filter and over dosed the fuel in the tank, and after a few minutes running it now as it warms up the wee man with the hammer has a break and it’s fairly quiet. I’ll have the injectors serviced and new nozzles fitted. There is a rumble from the gearbox / clutch but I’m not really worried about that, it has had a clutch in the past, and I’ll change the gearbox oil before it returns to the road

Parts are arriving now, but time in the workshop is limited as to when the children are in nursery and I’m not taking it home to work outside!

Rear axle: New pads and discs, new handbrake shoes springs and modified dog bones, cranks stripped cleaned and greased up, axle bushes, anti-roll bar bushes

Front axle: changing out the axle case, all bearing and seals and gaskets will be done. New bushes for the radius arms, anti-roll bar, it has very recent pads and discs

Body and Chassis: rear section / boot floor has been cleaned up, flaky paint and sealer removed, rust removed and treated and coated with stone chip and tetraseal
Rear body mounted spare wheel carrier refitted to cover the holes
New drivers front window regulatorfitted, still as slow as a week in jail!

Interior: carpets removed and power washed and refitted, apprentice quality wiring repairs & alarm install removed ( why do people love to strip, twist and insulating tape anything they can ?) Refit interior . Front seats are still to be changed out

Engine : Big end bearings changed, valve clearances reset and an oil flush done, timing belt, water pump, radiator and aux belts to be changed. Alternator to strip, clean inspect, hopefully a new regulator will sort the dash Christmas tree

2853A67C-5262-4B65-A18A-DA447DA77DFF.jpeg
58ADE528-F28C-4F05-AED2-730EFA8D30A1.jpeg
0E49B14C-45CF-410A-803A-568E7AEEDA7C.jpeg

Good job! Have you gone for longer dog bones? I had longer ones in mine but then had new shoes fitted and it's a bugger to get it right! ......according to the mech....who I am losing faith in!

Fantastic. You know, if you get a half decent starter and do the axles BEBs, bearings, brakes and so on - coming in at a total of say £5 £6k then you're really driving around in a pretty awesome motor. Sure, the bumpers might have a ding or two there may be some scratches and bits of rust about the place but at the end of it all, you've a continent crushing beastie. Fantastic effort in getting this one back to some of it's former glory.

Good job! Have you gone for longer dog bones? I had longer ones in mine but then had new shoes fitted and it's a bugger to get it right! ......according to the mech....who I am losing faith in!

Steve I’m waiting on the discs arriving, and the short crank cables, and after that
I’ll let you know. I just cut a piece of steel and welded it in, I found a diagram on here suggesting a length of 74mm v 69mm as standard so that’s what I have now!

Cheers

Chris, we are in hope of getting it to Europe this summer, sure one of my Touareg might be comfier and smoother, but there is no fun in that!
I am considering doing the starter conversion, but it has a new starter fitted, and I will need to change both the batteries, I have the old one from it so might look to get a 100 one and convert the gear and front cover?
Yeah the paint is rough, but then I don’t worry about going places like I do with the good cars, I’m going to just do all the wear and tear items then it’s my daily, and the family adventure truck

Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So only a little done today, spent some time fixing a power steering leak on my mates 200, but a some parts cleaned up, zinc sprayed and some black topcoat and a clean up in the workshop

B181FFE9-DE97-499C-B792-A5CE1C17622E.jpeg
29A9264B-AE30-4F76-B643-0606111FB957.jpeg
0E8CF6AD-1715-4E24-85F3-35A27767E7E8.jpeg
28349D05-C364-4B16-82DB-9EB4F338ED32.jpeg

Thats great news.
Dont forget new alu washers for the return pipe when you put your injectors back in. Its not worth risking. Being inside the rocker cover on the 24 valve you wont know there leaking until your oil level starts rising..

Yes, Thanks! I’ll Be changing anything that can cause issues. Is there any reason they use aluminium and not copper washers, I guess there is also a seat washers or the head/ injector?

Cheers

the two washers are connected, so it combines the washer that sits on top of the injector with the one that sits under the head of the hollow bolt on the return pipe. im mr oem, but I cant think of a reason why you couldn't use the right dimension copper washers.
im actually putting the head back on a 1hd ft for a customer at the moment so I could grab a pic for you in the morning.
oh, in a lot of cases the O ring on the injector will tear as you remove it.

the two washers are connected, so it combines the washer that sits on top of the injector with the one that sits under the head of the hollow bolt on the return pipe. im mr oem, but I cant think of a reason why you couldn't use the right dimension copper washers.
im actually putting the head back on a 1hd ft for a customer at the moment so I could grab a pic for you in the morning.
oh, in a lot of cases the O ring on the injector will tear as you remove it.

Yes that would be very helpful, thanks

Thanks! Great help, along with the Toyota special tool, I see now it’s not worth the hassle of trying to keep copper washers in place!

Cheers

Not too much to show today, backplates cleaned and stone chipped on the inside, new shoes inside, Karsons spring kit and modified dog bones. New caliper slider bolts and the calipers cleaned and zinc’d and topcoated
@froggy Steve I found with all new parts installed inside 3mm on the dog bone was the max to get it all built up and working good, can’t see it being too hard to get it right, but at 5mm it was too tight to get the discs on . The length on my dog bones has increased from 69 to 72mm

426E60CB-7BB9-40D3-8250-611CD3F7C037.jpeg

where did you get the extended dog bones for rear brakes

@thelal I just modified the original ones, I got an old brake pad and cut a section the width of the slot in the dog bone and welded it in, there was a post on here showing the dimensions but I couldn’t get my disc back on so reduced the extension to 3mm. I have fitted all new parts, shoes, springs and discs. Handbrake is around 4-5 clicks and holds well now

Cheers

So most of what I’ll get done this time, new timing belt / kit, new water pump, felt ok while installed but once the coolant was drained the bearing was quite rough, radiator changed, coolant changed, stripped the alternator and cleaned it but I still have a Christmas tree dash, it was full of oil and sheep’s wool and mud!
All the speakers replaced, nothing from the boot mounted subwoofer, so will take the head unit out and see what’s connected
Received a couple of nice gifts for it from the previous owner, a pair of front Recaro seats and a front winch bumper, he decided not to bother trying to fit it on his patrol

3-4 months sitting in the workshop has collected a fair bit of dust, next time home it should should get a day or two under the polisher and the front axle rebuild, new wheels and maybe an mot!

Cheers

09C751FE-C07B-422B-B889-FB4C8EBD9650.jpeg
9516BAC0-1B6C-47E8-88D3-40A18A5C4019.jpeg
C193060B-24F3-4B61-8EA4-9BF22A72A44B.jpeg

I like the seats. I'd love to put something like that in mine. Can you cover how you do that please? Ie seat base change over, make from scratch or whatever.

looks much better with that cattle grid removed off the front.

good shed!

@Chris The driver seat has been in the truck before, he found climbing in and out constantly a pain so bought a standard seat, I’m a bit smaller than him, and not constantly getting out to chase/worry sheep open gates etc so hoping it will be ok, but I’ll post up my way of installing when I do
@chapel gate yes much better looking now, the workshop is great, but there are a few furry rodents trying to move back in!
Cheers

Back