Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

excessive condensation

IRLGW

Ever since I had my truck there has been a real problem with condensation on the interior when it raining heavy. Even with the fan on full speed it wont clear the front window and its worth if there are extra bodies in the truck ( just the live ones). Is this an 80series feature or is my fan not working properly? There doesn't appear to be massive flow at the dash but never had another one to compare it to?

Turning on the aircon will demist the windows, I have a problem with my heater fan, it will only blow on the high speed setting, all the other settings are only what blows in from movement.

Aircon- I have the button but that's all I'm afraid. didn't come on 12v manual for some reason-hence the extra mpg I guess. how much airflow would one expect to get at the window vents I wonder. I can hardly feel much there

Aircon- I have the button but that's all I'm afraid. didn't come on 12v manual for some reason-hence the extra mpg I guess. how much airflow would one expect to get at the window vents I wonder. I can hardly feel much there
It's not just the airflow with the aircon, it dries out the air in the car, but as you don't have it that's not much help to you, sorry. Winding a window down can help a bit.

Sounds like a problem with your fan/airflow. I have aircon but do not use it in the winter to demist the windscreen. I find the fan with flow directed onto the screen works fine - and I live in Wales....

There should be plenty of air blowing on the mid setting.

Turning on the aircon will demist the windows, I have a problem with my heater fan, it will only blow on the high speed setting, all the other settings are only what blows in from movement.

Chas, sounds like a resistor pack for the intermediary settings.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
IRLGW, i would say that some condensation is normal but not such that it wont clear with a window ajar and fan on.
I suspect the vent is seized that directs air to the screen. Is it motor driven?
Also, is any moisture getting in anywhere? That will add to it.
When full of people then its normal to see more condensation so crack open more windows.
I dont have aircon in my 60 or any motor driven ducts and the fan clears the screen on no 2 of 4.
Both my 80’s had aircon which dried the air very quickly as chas said

It's important to have the heater intake set to draw external air rather than recirculated air. Although it may look damp outside the air will be drier than cabin air.

The ducting could have become detached in the dash or there could be a blockage of sorts. Don't know how either could occur, maybe poor radio installation for the former. You should get quite a blast of air on the screen. Poor wiring location after a radio being fitted can obstruct the motor operated rods to the dampers so it may not be fully opening. Worth taking the front off the dash and having a look.

As mentioned, do you have any water getting in, maybe through a poorly fitted screen? This isn't always obvious as there are channels either side under the carpet that the water can lay in unnoticed. Check for dampness just inside at the rear of the rear side door threshold.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I've never tried it but I did read somewhere that an old sock filled with cat litter will soak up moisture in the air.

Check for leaks 1st, in rainy Northern Ireland very little condensation and in most cases speed 2 on fan will clear it fairly quick

Yep I do have a leak sometimes in the front passenger but I remember is happening in france in a thunder storm even though the car had been roasted for two weeks. I maybe need to check the motorised flap then so. It doesn't appear to loosing any coolant so I presume this rules out the heater matrix. The midget with the squidgy has asked for a few days off over Christmas and I think it would be cruel to refuse him so hoping to get it sorted..

The passenger is also the 'cup-holder', so I'm torn between steamy windows and a wet crotch

Back