Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Exhaust bracket squeak/rattle when idling

paulnanrod

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi we’re nearly at our destination in France (860 miles of 900 with the caravan) and there was a slight squeal from the exhaust bracket intermittently which has become a constant when idling. Stops when revving/moving (get funny looks pulling on a campsite/passport control).

my mechanic has suggested adding another washer where you can see one until home which should stop the noise.

has anyone come across this before and any short term fixes?

thanks

Attachments

• B41B6673-8C5D-4A4A-877A-EE81227CA197.png
    B41B6673-8C5D-4A4A-877A-EE81227CA197.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 72
That thing (joint) is called a compensator. Never been quite sure what it compensates for but there you go. It's a sort of hemispherical half ball joint in there which allows a seal even if it moves about (hey maybe it's compensating). Now you could add a washer and dog it up tight, but there's no guarantee that it will close the bit where it's blowing from. And of course if you lock it up that tight, it might crack something somewhere else. In terms of driving it, its not really a problem, there's a 2" hole at the other end of the pipe so a bit more leakage won't hurt. In terms of the noise you might be better simply taking some exhaust bandage and doing a bit of a first aid wrap around to muffle it a little. Don't use anything that will catch fire!

As a short term fix attempt, you could try a squirt or three of aerosol copper grease (aérosol de graisse au cuivre). Must be copper grease to take the heat.

Doesn't the 120 have the expensive and complicated engine mounts?

Thanks you all. Chris, the squeak is more metal vibrating causing the noise rather than blowing.

Will try that, flint thanks. Just want to be able to get to the euro tunnel and give the passports without having to turn the engine off as the vibration was causing so much of a squeak I couldn’t hear them

Iwan ive got no idea but might find out once I’m back!

Are you sure it's from that joint and not some of the heat shield that has come lose and is rattling against the exhaust, which is what I and others have experienced?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I’m pretty sure it isn’t but will double check. I think it’s that bracket and doesn’t rattle once revving (the power heat button when Cold stops it, but if it’s idling when up to heat it rattles).

will check thanks

It will be that joint. quick fix is as Flint says, Lever the joint apart if you can then sqirt some copper grease or wd40 into it. wont last long but works. Only way to fix permenantly is to relace joint inside when you get back. If you can while your away take the joint apart and cover the gasket inside with copper grease and reassemble. DONT put extra washers in or all you will do is crush the gasket and make it worse. I have the same problem on my Colorado after towing caravan 200 miles to Cornwall so carry a tin of spray copper grease with me.

Yep, It's the joint. Mine was awful until I changed the seal. Only did it at about 1000rpm.

Flint in post 3 has given you the French for copper grease (cant do the copy thing). In your picture the bottom bolt looks bent . Have you grounded out on something?
I found that even if you cant lever it apart a good dose of WD40 sprayed on the top of the joint and let it drip down the sides worked for about 100 or so miles before needing doing again.

Thanks Steve. It was more my poor conversational french as I saw the helpful translation. As with everything, I should have listened better at school!

next issue. The village we are in, I can only get A toothpaste tube pot of copper grease, not an aerosol. I’ve put a pic below, but can this still be used and if so where on the bracket and how do you suggest I apply it?

thanks

Attachments

• BCF00EBD-BC5F-42DB-9360-EEF1B6E5D9D5.jpeg
    BCF00EBD-BC5F-42DB-9360-EEF1B6E5D9D5.jpeg
    332.8 KB · Views: 53
Hi. If you can lever the joint apart against the springs(use your wheel brace from your jack kit or a screwdriver) squirt some grease from the tube in-between the joint and let it close up. Dont use your fingers to try and put it in because if you slip IT BITES. If you have a 14mm spanner with you you could undo the bolts and release the springs to make it a bit easier, or take the joint apart and cover the inside of the joint with grease for a longer lasting repair(bodge). Should take you about ten minutes tops if the bolts come undone easily. When you reassemble the joint make sure the bolts go through the holes in the flange and the stops on the bolts pinch on the back flange only. You should be able to flex the joint apart with a screwdriver when you finished. HTH

Thanks for your help, Steve - couldn’t prise it apart, but a good drop on top, within a few miles the rattle/squeak had stopped and made it back home without a noise (didn’t need to turn the engine off at passport control!)

Will get it looked at properly once out of quarantine, but it made it 2,000 miles there and back with a caravan perfectly….

You could do it yourself while you are in quarantine. Its only a matter of taking the two bolts out, split the joint and cover the inside surfaces with copper grease and reassemble. But glad it worked for you anyway.

I replaced my compensator but it still squealed, you should replace the two spring bolts as well.

Thanks for that bones - still haven’t gotten round to fixing it other than a blob of grease so need to sort it properly

No worries, I just spotted the vid and thought it may help others in the future too. I like a good video explanation

Back