Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Exhaust hitting frame?

Aeroelastic

Country Flag
uk
So picked up my brother in law and family from the airport, all seats occupied including the last row, with luggages. Fully loaded.
Soon as i started driving, there is a rattling noise from the car at around 1000rpm, then gone as soon I rev past that. Suspected loose exhaust so checked under car.

first photo show view from back to front on rear of driver side of car. You can see the exhaust indicated. My suspicion is at the red circled area, exhaust seems to be very close to the cross frame... second photo is the zoom in view of the red circle area.

can anyone compare the gap between the exhaust and cross member to yours, mine is a LWB 1996 Prado. How can I lift that bit of the exhaust up to separate further from the cross frame? New rubber mount?
3725A71A-F661-47DA-98B1-B6CB0739F23D.jpeg

3FAA75E4-0C91-4BE4-8E82-0B4DF65A4998.jpeg

Last edited:
Just bend the brackets where rubber fixes the exhaust to the truck .

Thanks, how much gap is sufficient? 1.5 inch? Brother in law family still around but haven’t been out all together since picked them up from the airport so want to be sure there is sufficient gap next time they all get in. otherwise a bit embarrassing, an 8 seaters that can’t take 7 people...

V6 or inline 4? (The V6 is a different exhaust layout at least up front).

I have a 3" custom made stainless exhaust and when its knocking there i usually just bend the rear most bracket (which i can see while looking at the rear bumper) up or down an inch using my bottle jack handle for leverage . No two trucks will be identical so its trial and error .

Thanks, Shayne, will give it a go.

it’s an in-line 4 Ad Wagon.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back