Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Exhaust puzzle

john higginson

Country Flag
uk
Hey,
Based in France.
I recently picked up a 89' LJ73. It's running nicely except the exhaust was in need of replacement.
I'm trying to figure out how you remove the mid section, it sits between the body and the chassis+drive shaft.
It must be me but it's like one of those puzzles, every which way you turn it doesn't have enough space to exit. It has a right hand bend in it which is completely confusing me ; )
Got the joints separated. The front section is off.
Any help would be greatly appreciated .
Cheers
John

Not much help as I don't know this model, but are you trying to get it out with the LJ73 on a lift or on stands ?

Not much help as I don't know this model, but are you trying to get it out with the LJ73 on a lift or on stands ?
Hi Flint, I'm afraid it's all a bit amateur, I've got a couple of axle stands, but they barely do any lifting. It's an odd one, it feels like the car has been built around the exhaust ; )

Sometimes it's handy to have a bit more space underneath so that you can drop, twist and turn a bit. Good luck with it !

Sometimes it's handy to have a bit more space underneath so that you can drop, twist and turn a bit. Good luck with it !
I think that might be the issue .. well at least thats the least problematic, thank you

Hi John.

Looking at a diagram of the system, it looks to me that the truck needs raised so that the tail end of the middle section can be turned downwards and then extracted. The installation of the new section would be a reverse procedure. You might get it up high enough if you could use a set of ramps, although these only give about a one foot lift it may be enough. Can you borrow a set from a mate?

Regards,

Rodger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi John.

Looking at a diagram of the system, it looks to me that the truck needs raised so that the tail end of the middle section can be turned downwards and then extracted. The installation of the new section would be a reverse procedure. You might get it up high enough if you could use a set of ramps, although these only give about a one foot lift it may be enough. Can you borrow a set from a mate?

Regards,

Rodger
Hi Rodger, Now that sounds promising, I've principally be looking at the front end. I'll get my hands on a set of ramps and see if it helps. I'll keep you posted. Thank you very much

Hi John,

Been abroad for the last 5 weeks, so only just seen your post. I guess by now your problem is long ago sorted.

I had an LJ70 a few years ago - exactly the problem you describe. Its like one of those puzzles you used to get in Christmas crackers - pieces of twisted metal like a knot where you have to separate two parts and then put them back together again. Its a kind of three dimension awareness test, some people have the knack, but I sure don't. While I was under the car wrestling with that damn mid pipe my other half strolls up, alerted by all the cussing. She says get out and let me have a look, then no more than a minute later she slides out with it in her hand! No axle stands, no ramps or anything, car just standing on the ground. Of course I got her to put the new section in as well, so I can't tell you exactly which way to twist it about, but apparently its easy when you know how. If you are still stuck with it I'll send her round!

Hi John,

Been abroad for the last 5 weeks, so only just seen your post. I guess by now your problem is long ago sorted.

I had an LJ70 a few years ago - exactly the problem you describe. Its like one of those puzzles you used to get in Christmas crackers - pieces of twisted metal like a knot where you have to separate two parts and then put them back together again. Its a kind of three dimension awareness test, some people have the knack, but I sure don't. While I was under the car wrestling with that damn mid pipe my other half strolls up, alerted by all the cussing. She says get out and let me have a look, then no more than a minute later she slides out with it in her hand! No axle stands, no ramps or anything, car just standing on the ground. Of course I got her to put the new section in as well, so I can't tell you exactly which way to twist it about, but apparently its easy when you know how. If you are still stuck with it I'll send her round!

Hi Tel Boy,

So happy to see your post, I thought it was me !

That's a great story, you're dead right, it's that mid section that's the nightmare. Funnily enough I haven't done it yet ! I ended up cutting the old one out, it was totally knackered so didn't feel too bad about it. I got the front section fitted and quite honestly couldn't face the wrestle with the mid section. I'll get back to it soon.

No Ramps, I felt sure that was where I was going wrong !

If your wife has any tips or you're both passing thru south west France, you'd be very welcome !

Thanks again for getting in touch.

All the best
John

She's female so just shut your eyes and don't think at all :lol:

Don't give up. I know it can be done, just can't tell you exactly how. Unfortunately I can't make the same offer to send her who knows round - Nebraska is definitely more than a day trip. If all else fails I'm sure lifting the back up high (or a pit) will give more options. Good luck with it!

When we changed the exhaust on my 80 series I couldn't get the old system out when on the ground (it was a bitsa from PO and didn't follow the proper routing) and we needed it up on a proper vehicle lift to get the blasted thing off. New one went on fine. Maybe your best/easiest answer here?

I finally got it! After hours of trying, I ended up loosening the body mounts and jacking it up to gain enough clearance. It still was tight and needed a judicious application of violence to get it in place. Hope I don't have to do it again for a long time!

Ohh wow, you did it ! I still haven't got round to finishing mine, what with the way the world is right now., other things sadly took priority. But that's genius ! Create more space ! Before I start, would you be kind enough to explain a little more in detail how and what you did. I''d be super grateful.

The old pipe had cracked and broken in two behind the hanger bracket so removal was easy. There are 5 mounting points for the body on the right side of the frame, you can probably get away with loosening the rear 4. Penetrating oil and an impact are recommended(mine is mostly rust free so wasn't horrible) you can't get to the top of the bolts so good luck. I used a 2 foot board with a groove in it that fit the pinch seam of the body to jack against. To get enough room I unbolted the prop shaft from the transfer case, removed a heat shield, and unhooked and unclamped the water lines for the rear heater. Feed the pipe over the frame from the inboard side, you will have to do a bit of twisting and turning to get it in place.

It wasn't fun.

That doesn't sound like a fun job. But it's going to whole lot easier with the information you've supplied me with. I'm really grateful. Thank you.

As has been said what a tedious job. I needed to remove mine as I am rebuilding the transfer case in the vehicle. I got it up on ramps at the front and almost as high at the back on chassis stands. I also loosened the fuel pipes so I could maneouver the pipe. What a stupid design! I hope I can get it back on! Sorry to not be much help but its always nice to know you are not the only one who is struggling. I am sure the wife doing it was beginers luck!

Graeme

I decided to cut and make a sleave for the centre section to make it easier to get over the chassis. No idea why it is not made like this in the first place. I had some spare pipe that was the same ID as the toyota OD.
Exhaust.jpg
Exhaust2.jpg
Exhaust3.jpg

Nice work Gra. Ill send her indoors round to check she's happy with it!

Back