Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Exhaust smoking at low revs but not when accelerating?

TALAMAN

Country Flag
cyprus
Hi All,
Some time since I have been on here but I wonder if anyone can give me some ideas?

Whilst out gently offroading on forest tracks in my 2001 1KTZE my friend in another car noticed my exhaust was smoking (light blue-ish) when on idle or just moving slowly. No black smoke under acceleration?

I gave the engine bay a clean up yesterday and noticed a small amount of oil around the back of the cylinder head, could this be related?

Blue smoke = oil getting burned during combustion... now what this means in terms of diagnosis... the head, the gasket, valves, rings... these are all potential places to go.. you'd need a better tech than me to say.

I do know of engines that have given off a little blue for quite some time and still run ok

I wouldn't worry about it yet could be just the rough and tumble let a little more oil escape into the crank breather than usual , which will burnt off along with fuel .

Appreciate the replies, not being a mechanic I was in a panic but have come to the same conclusion. I have not noticed it a couple of days later and engine pulls well and sounds good to me.

Back