Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Exhaust temps

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
Had a 3" side exit stainless exhaust system made by ProSpeed last week and have to say I wasn't too impressed by what they produced, but that's another story.

I was out today giving the truck a bit of a shake down prior to a big trip next month and noticed the exhaust was running at 115C just after it exits the turbo..... this was after a long up hill climb. On the flat it was about half that at 65C.

Are these normal temps?

So you've measured the actual temp of the exhaust? I cant help you with that, but my exhaust gas temperature probe thats in the exhaust manifold will get up to 1250f, and beyond if i dont back off.

Oddly enough, i wasnt happy with the workmanship on my 3" exhaust...

Yes measured it with one of those laser dot guns.

Who did your 3" system? Was it ProSpeed too?

No another firm that have a good rep. I will be taking it back at some point.

1250f is about 670c.

What did you not.like about what they did?

Mine gets pretty hot and I have burnt my leg a LOT of times on it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What did you not.like about what they did?
There is a long list of their failings Stu. From poorly fabricated fittings to severely compromising the structural integrity of insisting components fitted to the vehicle.

I was under the impression Charlie the owner would be fabricating and fitting the system. In truth he spent most of the time on the phone to other customers. What I ended up with was a system that was not what I had envisaged.

I am an ex Rolls Royce engineer so I know quality when I see it. To anyone with no mechanical knowledge they could well be happy with not knowing what lies underneath their truck.

Needless to say I would not recommend the place to anyone.

I think your laser dot gun is kn******d. A hot cup of tea is more than 65 deg C. I also have a 3" SS exhaust and easily attain 1200+ Deg F towing on hills. At tick over it runs around 300-350 F.

I did wonder if the shiny surface of the SS system was 'confusing' the way it reads the temp?

Shame about the exhaust quality! Hopefully they'll sort it out.

My exhaust makes the rock slider it routes through quite warm lol.

I'm sorry you're not happy as I'm one of the ones who gave them a thumbs up.

can't help on the laser gun or the fab. other than to commiserate. My pre-turbo temp runs about 475C on the flat and goes up to 670 odd on long climbs - helps to punt it back to 4th then :)

I did wonder if the shiny surface of the SS system was 'confusing' the way it reads the temp?

I believe it does. When I had my boiler installed he put masking tape onto the copper pipes when testing the return temperature.

What are you trying to achieve paul?

Shame about the exhaust quality! Hopefully they'll sort it out.....
I'll not be taking my truck back there again Gary, one visit was enough to put me off.

What are you trying to achieve paul?
Nothing really CG, I was just interested to know it mine was running hot. Clearly the method I'm using to measure needs to be different.
I'm off to Morocco in just over 3 weeks and heat is always a concern for me down there..... this is the 5th trip my 80 has done there so I'm sure she will be fine.

Fair enough mate, once bitten twice shy.
There's only 2 places I'd ever recommend and both up this way, one Leeds and one just outside York.

A bigger diameter exhaust simply can't increase egt's unless its restricted internally somehow ?

I did find the 3" on my 1kz-te truck (electric fuel pump) messed up the fuel air ratio .

I'll not be taking my truck back there again Gary, one visit was enough to put me off.

Nothing really CG, I was just interested to know it mine was running hot. Clearly the method I'm using to measure needs to be different.
I'm off to Morocco in just over 3 weeks and heat is always a concern for me down there..... this is the 5th trip my 80 has done there so I'm sure she will be fine.
Ambient temps dont really have a noticeable effect on egts. Engine coolant and egts need to be considered separate really.
if your worried about egts, get a egt gauge.
If your concerned about coolant temps do the stock gauge mod or fit a aftermarket gauge.

redarc do two and three in one gauges.

Ex RR ? Three of my uncles were RR inspection engineers based in Derby. Would that have been on aircraft piston engines? Period was wartime and just after. They are dead now so I cant ask them. One saw me working on my Norton and said to be careful not to do the "strong man act" doing up nuts. A badly fitting 3" exhaust might well strain the manifold.

Back