Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Expat with family working in Kenya

Prado_Primate

Hi All,

My family and I usually reside in the US (although I'm Canadian). We are in Kenya for up to 18 months while my wife collects data for her dissertation.

We needed a truck for the field that would also be comfortable to shuttle our 18 mo old around in. We also wanted a reliable engine that would be easy to service and find parts for in Kenya. That's why when we found a 2004 Prado 120 1kz, we decided to buy. I had a trusted mechanic do the timing belt, tie rod ends, brakes and a few worn bushes. Since the vehicle was probably driven on tarmac only before us, the truck has shown us a lot more that needed to be replaced including the rear shocks and coils, control arm bushes and body mount bushes. The engine is solid and pulls great.

I understand automotive basics and I can change oil, filters, etc. and can troubleshoot alright. I worked on cars a lot more when I was younger, helping my dad restore an old beetle, but I'm nowhere near a mechanic.

I look forward to learning more about my Prado from you folks. I would welcome any advice or direction in regard to things I should have in the field and what I should keep my eye on. I'm putting together a small toolbox right now. We have a high jack and have had supports welded for it. We can't afford much more in the way of mods or anything like that.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hello and welcome!

Tyres are going to be your most important factor when it comes to getting stuck or not. A good set of all terrains or if you are doing a lot of off road driving a set of mud terrains will be your best friend.

Hi, and welcome aboard. :thumbup:

Loads of info on here, and the usual forum nonsense banter, which makes it a nice place to visit in your spare time :lol:

Good choice of truck and I agree with @grantw about tyres.

I’ll vouch for BFG KM2 (mud tyres) although there’s a newer version available now, KM3

The KO2 (and now 3) have a good reputation too, although I’ve never used them (yet). They are an all terrain tread (AT) and deliver good grip and mileage.

Don't tell me they are about to release a AT Ko3 ... I just bought 5 new KO2

They are an awesome tyre though. I'd have the KM3 too if I wasn't going to be driving in wintery conditions.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Unfortunately the truck came with almost new Maxxis AT700 Bravo tyres and we can't afford new tires until we get more grant money. But I know these tires will give us a headache. Our colleague has the same tires and repairs them every other day after using his for a year. Tyres are super expensive here too.

We have a lot of acacia thorns where we work, so we would need a tyre with a strong sidewall. Lots of mud in the rainy season and most vehicles have skinnier tires so the wheel tracks are skinny. You would think that's a good thing for us staying out of the tracks, but the soil here is what they call black cotton. When it rains it's like driving on ice. If you're not in a track, you're sideways. We try and not drive when it's raining but sometimes it's inevitable.

So mudders aren't really the best for where we are. Maybe a mud grip on a skinnier tyre? The mud just sticks on the wide tires and builds up. Anyone have any experience with these type of conditions?

Back