Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Expedition 80 Series Build

David Killough

Country Flag
angola
After months of research and digging around through Cruiser threads in the USA, UK, EU and RSA I've finally been able to get my hands on my own Cruiser! I purchased it nearly a year ago, but because of travels, haven't been able to work on it at all...

So, I'm back in the UK and have a massive list of projects to do before I leave again in 5 weeks! Some of these are maintenance projects, others are upgrades. Here's a list of them and how far where I'm at on each of them.

Maintenance first:

1. Replace t-case rear output shaft oil seal
Progress: Need to order parts. Anyone know of a good source?
2. Replace rear diff input shaft oil seal
Progress: Need to order parts, looking for good source
3. Figure out if I need to reseal my front axle ball joints
4. Change gear oil in manual gearbox and hope the change to a synthetic oil will sort out the gear change issues into 1st and 2nd.

Upgrades: Since the LC came factory with 3 x diff locks and was upgraded by PO w/ 2.5" ironman lift, 5x BFG MT's, TJM bumper, Milemarker winch, a Safari Snorkel, inverter, fridge w/ 3rd battery and a CB Radio, my list of upgrades is small in comparison, but going to be home fabbed.

1. Rear drawer system
Progress: Wood purchased and cut, main box built, drawer runners ordered, folding t-handles ordered, hinges for folding wings purchased and still looking for carpeting and tie down points. Anyone know a good carpet supplier in Hampshire?
2. Dual swing out rear bumper
Progress: Lots of research done and I like the look of these two bumpers:
A. DC Fabrication
fj80_rearbumper.html

B. Wildyoats
80RBweb1.jpg

Which do you all like best?
I believe I'm going to order these spindles: http://www.comp4x4.com/Tire-Carrier-Hin ... indle.html
3. Roof Rack. I'm looking for a good second hand unit as I don't have time to build one whilst here in the UK. I may wait until I get the vehicle to Zambia for this though.
4. Interior lighting.
Progress: Nearly done. I ordered an LED set from IH8MUD member Pfran and it is amazing! Incredibly bright! I'm also considering getting an LED lightbar that attaches to the inside of the windscreen. A friend who is a law enforcement officer in the States has one on his car and says you can see the light from miles away.

So, I've got a lot of pics, but am having trouble uploading them! Do I have to host them on another website or can I just upload them here from my laptop?

Cheers!

David

Have fun ...

In no particular order - you can upload pics direct or host them elsewhere and link to them using the
tags (I edited your post to put the pics i n-line for you ...)

Have a look on the supplier thread for the Toyota dealer details where we get very nice club discounts, courtesy of Crispin, if you decide to go OEM for the parts you need.

Regards

David Killough said:
Maintenance first:
1. Replace t-case rear output shaft oil seal
Progress: Need to order parts. Anyone know of a good source?
2. Replace rear diff input shaft oil seal
Progress: Need to order parts, looking for good source
3. Figure out if I need to reseal my front axle ball joints
You'd be well-advised to go OEM for all these seals - yes, you can get cheaper from Milner etc but they are not as good. As Gary indicated, buy from Simon the friend Toy dealer - competitive prices, shipping included and delivered to your door very promptly.

If your front axle knuckles are weeping, chances are you need to do some maintenance there - replacing the seals isn't going to keep the grease and oil in the right place. Do you know whether the previous owner had rebuilt the front axle? If not, I suggest this would be sensible PM - have a look at the "how to" sticky at the top of the 80 forum.
Before an overland trip, you need to be sure that the wheelbearings and swivel bearings are in acceptable shape - only way to ensure this is to inspect 1st hand. Which means tearing down the hubs, knuckles etc.

If you have diff oil seeping out (which is probably the cause of weeping knuckles), then the inner axle oil seal is dead and needs replacing. The CVs might be ok, but a fresh packing of moly grease can only do them good.
Check the bearings and if ok, give them a fresh dose of lithium/bearing grease and all you need is the right pre-load when putting back together and your front axle is good to go. Check the diff oil in case you have soup in there from the CV grease mixing with the diff oil. If so, flush and replace diff oil.

You might want to check out the axle breathers and extend them if this has not already been done. I presume you'll replace the t/case oil with new when you do the seal?

PS: Whereabouts are you in the UK (maybe update your location in your profile)? If you get stuck and need help with any of the jobs, then we might know who is local and can come and help/collect evidence of your silly mistakes :lol:
Tag along to Lincomb this weekend if you want to pick the brains of a few members and ogle over some nice trucks for ideas and inspiration. We also have monthly get-togethers in London for those of us based here, which you'd be very welcome to join too.

Cheers,

Ok, so here goes with the pics:

T-case output shaft leak:
photo.php

I just heard from the PO. He said this was done at Landcruisers Overland and should be fine. I reckon I'll give it a good cleaning first and go from there.

Rear diff input shaft leak:
photo.php

Swivels: PS
photo.php

DS
photo.php

Does this qualify as weeping? I thought the PO did rebuild it, but he's overseas right now so hard to ask. UPDATE: PO said he did a full rebuild, but thinks a seal may have gone because it sat for a while. I'll steam wash it and find out.

Anyone know what these lines are? The rust around the rubber tubing has me a bit concerned.
photo.php

Now for a few cool pics!

Cruiser:
photo.php

Drawer system:
photo.php

photo.php

I'll contact Simon for the diff seal and see what I can find out if the oil around the t-case output shaft is old oil that didn't get cleaned up or if it's new oil! Thanks guys!

David

Haha! I win! Finally figured out how to decrease the file size on my photos using Apple's Preview.

Cruiser: [attachment=6:317bqqwn]Cruiser Web.jpg[/attachment:317bqqwn]

Drawer system: [attachment=5:317bqqwn]Drawer system beginning web.jpg[/attachment:317bqqwn]

Cree LED reverse lights: [attachment=0:317bqqwn]Cree LED Reverse Lights Web.jpg[/attachment:317bqqwn]

Rear diff input shaft leak: [attachment=4:317bqqwn]Rear Diff Input Shaft Web.jpg[/attachment:317bqqwn]

T-case output shaft leak: [attachment=3:317bqqwn]T-Case output shaft Web.jpg[/attachment:317bqqwn]
UPDATE: PO says he had the seal and bearing replaced not long ago, so the oil may have been from the original leak. Guess I'll have to clean it and find out!

PS Swivel: [attachment=2:317bqqwn]Swivel PS Web.jpg[/attachment:317bqqwn]

DS Swivel: [attachment=1:317bqqwn]Swivel DS Web.jpg[/attachment:317bqqwn]
UPDATE: PO says he also rebuilt front axle. Truck has been sitting for over 8 months, could just be a weeping seal or need to be cleaned and driven.

I've also added LED cabin lights, but those photos aren't loading up so well. I'll check the size and redo them. I would highly recommend getting your hands on some though. I got mine through an IH8MUD member named PFran. I think he has a website called http://www.pfranleds.com.

Here's the link to DC Fabrications rear bumper that I want to build: www.dcfabrication.com/fj80_rearbumper.html.

David

Attachments

• Cruiser Web.jpg
    Cruiser Web.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 1,131
  • Drawer system beginning web.jpg
    Drawer system beginning web.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 1,214
  • Rear Diff Input Shaft Web.jpg
    Rear Diff Input Shaft Web.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 1,297
  • T-Case output shaft Web.jpg
    T-Case output shaft Web.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 1,133
  • Swivel PS Web.jpg
    Swivel PS Web.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 1,136
  • Swivel DS Web.jpg
    Swivel DS Web.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 1,147
  • Cree LED Reverse Lights Web.jpg
    Cree LED Reverse Lights Web.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 1,221
David, the swivels/knuckles look just about right :thumbup: Any drier and they'd be rusty. What you don't want is oil trickling down - a bit of grease build-up is perfectly normal. IMO no new seals needed.

Hard to make a definitive judgement based on one pic but your so-called t/case output leak looks like a leak from the speedo sensor plug. If the output seal was gone, the oil would be soaking the bottom of the casing (oil doesn't flow uphill - usually ;) ) and you would probably see a drop accumulating on the lowest point of the dust cover (I.e. the point where the exhaust disappears behind the t/case in your pic. That all looks dry to me.

If it is the speedo sensor plug, this is usually not much more than finger tight. If you scrape away the built-up muck, you will see that the plug is grooved/knurled for finger, rather than spanner, tightening. Whip it off, clean it up, check the o-ring that seals it and tighten it as much as you can by hand. Note that the sensor itself is held in place by the little bracket and 12?mm bolt you can see just below the plug. You may need to undo the bolt to remove the sensor completely to inspect the o-ring. Be gentle as the casing is ali and you don't want to crack it :)

HTH!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I agree with Andrew, doesn't look like an ongoing leak on the T case. The rear diff pinion seal is an easy enough job and you might as well check the prop UJ's while you're under there :)

Now there is a view i havent seen in a while ;)

Andrew Prince said:
Hard to make a definitive judgement based on one pic but your so-called t/case output leak looks like a leak from the speedo sensor plug. If the output seal was gone, the oil would be soaking the bottom of the casing (oil doesn't flow uphill - usually ;) ) and you would probably see a drop accumulating on the lowest point of the dust cover (I.e. the point where the exhaust disappears behind the t/case in your pic. That all looks dry to me.

Andrew, good call! I figured, anything is possible with a Landcruiser. If Chuck Norris doesn't work out, but work out Chuck Norris', then a Landcruisers oil could be tough enough to run up hill! ;)

All kidding aside, thanks for looking over the photos. Now that there's a sunny day in Hampshire, I shall get about working on the drawers again, see about that speedo o-ring and order the rear diff seal. I already checked the u-joints and pinion bearing and both are nice and solid. The PO took good care of this rig.

Thanks Paul! ;)

David

Sorting that speedo sensor out should be simple - even by my low standards. :oops: Literally wipe it with a rag so you can grip to undo it, get the plug off. Inspect. Undo the little bolt and wriggle the sensor out - check the o-ring. Chances are its fine and there was just a bad seal between sensor and casing. Carefully clean threads in casing and on sensor, put it all back together and make sure everything's sensibly tight as mentioned before.

I don't know what everyone else was up to this past sunny weekend, but I went fly fishing at Meon Springs, did some work on an acoustic guitar I'm building with my father-in-law, and did some work on my Cruiser.
Here's some pics

Catch of the day at Meon Springs [attachment=2:3bilklbq]Meon Springs Trout.JPG[/attachment:3bilklbq]

Meon Springs [attachment=1:3bilklbq]Meon Springs Fishing.jpg[/attachment:3bilklbq]

Drawers [attachment=0:3bilklbq]Drawer One 4 Web.jpg[/attachment:3bilklbq]

I pulled the speedo gear from the t-case and found that the o-ring is old and hardened a bit so I'm ordering another one along with the diff seal from our friendly Toyota dealer Simon.

I'm working on anchoring the drawers into the main body of the Cruiser and want to use the existing holes that the 3rd row seats anchor into. The problem is that the factory bolts are too short. I've checked at Halford's and B&Q, but neither of them have bolts that have the same fine thread pattern. I need them to be about 2" long as well. Anyone know where I can get something like this?

So, what did you all do with your sunny weekend?

David

Attachments

• Meon Springs Trout.JPG
    Meon Springs Trout.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 526
  • Meon Springs Fishing.jpg
    Meon Springs Fishing.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 514
  • Drawer One 4 Web.jpg
    Drawer One 4 Web.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 590
For bolts, you'd probably be wise to order a selection of metric fine pitch bolts from a supplier. I have used Namricks online with success. Order up some M8, M10 and M12 bolts (and some nuts & washers) of varying lengths to save you being stumped when you snap an original bolt and B&Q et al can't help. Or for when you want a longer bolt. :mrgreen:

David Killough said:
So, what did you all do with your sunny weekend?
Many of us were at Lincomb for the club get-together. See the Club Function Room for pics!

nice drawer system!
what size are those drawer runners and where did you get them?

Manny said:
nice drawer system!

Thanks! I finished the last drawer and am cutting the folding wings out today. Need to find a place to purchase some grey carpeting. For the runners go on eBay and look up user "automotion2011". He's selling 800mm drawer sliders for £20 per set with £15 shipping. I bought two for £55 delivered in a few days. No problems so far. Need to clean the dust out of the bearings and re-oil, but I like them. They're rated to 65kg which is really quite good!

David Killough said:
Manny said:
nice drawer system!

Thanks! I finished the last drawer and am cutting the folding wings out today. Need to find a place to purchase some grey carpeting. For the runners go on eBay and look up user "automotion2011". He's selling 800mm drawer sliders for £20 per set with £15 shipping. I bought two for £55 delivered in a few days. No problems so far. Need to clean the dust out of the bearings and re-oil, but I like them. They're rated to 65kg which is really quite good!

If you have any problems, I sourced my runners from B&Q Extra and they have been problem-free.

David Killough said:
Manny said:
nice drawer system!

cheers! i may just build a drawer system for my doublecab hilux, should give me good practice for when i build one for a 80!! please keep the pix coming!

Ok, here's a photo of the drawer system progress. Both drawers are in and operational. I've got some folding/locking t-handles coming from the States next week along with my spindles for the rear bumper! :D

[attachment=0:1ge4n1uz]Drawers 4 Web.jpg[/attachment:1ge4n1uz]

Andrew, I checked at B&Q, and their runners were all short and puny. Is B&Q extra an online store? How much did you pay? I looked at the CSF ones that a number of people used, but the price for the runners alone was a bit much. I figure, I'll spend the £55 and if they break after a year or so, then maybe I'll shell out a bit more for something beefier. I'll keep you guys posted.

Anyone have an idea where to get good automotive carpeting to cover everything?

David

Attachments

• Drawers 4 Web.jpg
    Drawers 4 Web.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 569
David Killough said:
Ok, here's a photo of the drawer system progress. Both drawers are in and operational. I've got some folding/locking t-handles coming from the States next week along with my spindles for the rear bumper! :D

[attachment=0:3vs8qu5l]Drawers 4 Web.jpg[/attachment:3vs8qu5l]

Andrew, I checked at B&Q, and their runners were all short and puny. Is B&Q extra an online store? How much did you pay? I looked at the CSF ones that a number of people used, but the price for the runners alone was a bit much. I figure, I'll spend the £55 and if they break after a year or so, then maybe I'll shell out a bit more for something beefier. I'll keep you guys posted.

Anyone have an idea where to get good automotive carpeting to cover everything?

David

B&Q Extra is the largest of their stores, and they carry a much better range that the standard stores (bit like a Tescos Extra). I recon that I paid about £30, but my lad could stand in the drawer! Here is a link to the set that I built for my 120. https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... y&hl=en_US

If I can remember where I bought I bought the carpet from (somewhere north of Wembly) I'll post that here.

:bow-yellow: :bow-yellow: :bow-yellow: :bow-yellow: :bow-yellow:
that looks really nice Andrew!!! what is the length of your drawer system?

Andrew Brierley said:
B&Q Extra is the largest of their stores, and they carry a much better range that the standard stores (bit like a Tescos Extra). I recon that I paid about £30, but my lad could stand in the drawer! Here is a link to the set that I built for my 120. https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... y&hl=en_US

If I can remember where I bought I bought the carpet from (somewhere north of Wembly) I'll post that here.

Ah! So you're the guy on the TLOCK forum who I kept waiting for a response from! ;) I saw the file you posted there and though yours is for a 120, I definitely used some of your ideas. Great plans mate!

Is it just me or is this forum far more active than the TLOCK one?

Wish I they had a B&Q Extra out here in Portsmouth. Looks like the nearest supercenter is in Southampton. May have to make a trip! If you do know where to find good carpeting, please let me know!

Cheers!

David

Back