Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Expedition planning get together in London in April

SimonD

Country Flag
australia
This may interest some - I have no affiliation. Looks interesting though and great venue for inspiration.
Can we help you plan your expedition?
by Alastair Humphreys
When I was planning to cycle round the world there was so much that I did not know. I was really thankful when a veteran long-distance cyclist agreed to meet me in a pub one evening and answer my questions.

Last year I thought that it could be helpful, now that I have done a few trips, to arrange an evening in a pub when I could try to help other people who are planning their own expedition. Over 100 people turned up. And what was really great about the evening was that so many people came who had already done big expeditions of their own and were able to share their own experience.

So I have decided to repeat the event. It will be on April 7th from 6.30pm to 9pm at the Royal Geographical Society in London (http://bit.ly/eZ8ljp). Entry will be £5 to cover venue costs. This includes a free drink. Nobody is making any money out of the evening: it’s just a chance for people to meet each other and be encouraged that they are not alone in their mad scheming. That it is being held at the birthplace of many a great expedition is a real bonus. I’m very grateful to the RGS for letting us use their facilities for the evening.

The evening is deliberately unstructured: there is nothing on offer except a bar and a big room full of people who have done, or are planning, interesting stuff. That’s it. Come along, have a drink or two, and talk to people. Ask questions, answer questions, be inspired.

So if you think I can help you with anything you may be planning or if you want to meet people in a similar stage of planning/dreaming then do come along. I will do my best to answer them or, more likely, point you towards someone who can.

Also if you have done an expedition, ultramarathon, big journey or anything similar yourself then perhaps you would like to come along as well to share your own knowledge with people? It would be fantastic to gather together a few seasoned expeditioners as well as a few people getting ready to head off for the first time. I would really appreciate that.

If you are coming along please sign up on the form below (or here if it’s not showing).

And please do share this event with anyone you know who may be interested: post it on Facebook, Twitter etc.

Hopefully I’ll see a few people (it’s first-come-first-served to a max of 150 in the venue) at 6.30pm on April 7th. But I’ll bring a book to read just in case nobody turns up!

If I were planning a trip in even the distant future, that would be great to get to... Just not local enough :(

It's close to me, I think I'll be going.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
With a little juggling of shifts, I was able to attend this planning meet at the RGS last night, and I have to say it was well worth it.

I met lots of very interesting, and well travelled people, and lots of cyclists (a brave and keen bunch!). I met these guys: http://www.odysseyoverland.co.uk/about.htm who drive a truck load of customers from the London to Australia, as well as some of their colleagues, all a very nice and friendly bunch.

I also got to meet Mac Mackenney, seasoned explorer and London to Cape town record holder, (well done Mac and team!) http://www.maxadventure.co.uk I had a great chat with Mac and his friends, and hope to see Mac at some events later in the year.

One of those events would be the RGS explore weekend (http://www.RGS.org/explore), where Mac runs the vehicle dependent travel side of things.

So a very big thank you goes to Alastair Humphreys for organising the meet, Jo at the RGS for all her help, everyone for attending, and Simon for posting it on here!

Cheers.

This sounds almost too good to be true. And I'm just up the road in little ole Tottenham.

The Dark Dude

Back