Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Exploring North Portugal in June

mettisse

Supporter
I'm planning a last minute trip to the above leaving early June, two trucks, two couples ( old but not quite decrepit) nothing in stone yet but plan to ferry to Bilbao turn west and generally follow coast around to North Portugal. We plan to camp/ auberge, relaxing touring with some exploring etc. I've seen some recommendations on the web but nothing I fancy for 4x4 types. We have comprehensive camping kit so if we find somewhere we're ok to stay a bit. Our own experience of France and Spain is wherever you are there is a campsite not to far, is Portugal the same? Any comments or tips would be welcome, thanks in advance, best regards, Bill Westley

Last edited:
I'm going too, but in August. My details are sketchy and will remain open, but leaving by 28th July, and back for a wedding at the end of August -just under 4 weeks! I plan not rush the drive down through france, and possibly ferry back up from Bilbao. I'm seeing it as a bit of a 'shakedown' trip - not been away or off work that long before. It's kinda what I got the truck for, and I've been looking forward to it since last summer!

@ratrace, thanks for those thread links! I thought I was pretty well read on the forum's overlanding content now but I'd not seen them - brilliant :thumbup:

Hey ratrace thanks also for the links, I had read the report before but well worth another visit, thanks, that's more or less the type of trip we are hoping for. Best regards Bill Westley

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm going back with Ratrace in september, genuinely cant wait.

Ferries - there is a new ferry operating from Portsmouth to Santander, as a result P&O have introduced a cheaper service, older ship but cheaper.

Or - book the ticket through Pete at Atlas Overland, he should get you a small discount (maybe 10%).

Campsites in Portugal - theres maybe 120 in the whole country, so not common, and standards are low regards facilities, but I can live with that - generally the food/drink is excellent, so its a trade off, and what the hell - I dont need to shower everyday, whereas I like a drink of the evening....

My suggestion - pick a theme, castles, bridges, river crossings, highest mountains, or something, cos otherwise its easy to just wander around the same area. Avoid eye contact with the Republican Guards in Portugal (or, more accurately, dont do anything stupidly obvious in front of them......).

Dont miss the Douro Valley.

Lots of people going this year.

Cheers

Pete

The current wife is indicating that she is in favour of a trip this year and something safe like this might be the ticket. I wouldn't want to take much more than 2 weeks away really - I'm a regular job sort of chap, and just get the standard holiday package with work. Dropping things for 6 weeks to go swanning off just isn't possible yet. Looks beautiful. Wine, cheese and scenery is top of the list really.

yep there are a few cheaper ferries - much more basic and no frills
but around £300 cheaper for the crossing

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/economie

and
The move follows the introduction of a rival service by LD Lines, who launched crossings between Poole and Santander in November.

well all are still welcome on this trip if anyone would like to go

I'm going back with Ratrace in september, genuinely cant wait.

Ferries - there is a new ferry operating from Portsmouth to Santander, as a result P&O have introduced a cheaper service, older ship but cheaper.

Or - book the ticket through Pete at Atlas Overland, he should get you a small discount (maybe 10%).

Campsites in Portugal - theres maybe 120 in the whole country, so not common, and standards are low regards facilities, but I can live with that - generally the food/drink is excellent, so its a trade off, and what the hell - I dont need to shower everyday, whereas I like a drink of the evening....

My suggestion - pick a theme, castles, bridges, river crossings, highest mountains, or something, cos otherwise its easy to just wander around the same area. Avoid eye contact with the Republican Guards in Portugal (or, more accurately, dont do anything stupidly obvious in front of them......).

Dont miss the Douro Valley.

Lots of people going this year.

Cheers

Pete
Thanks Pete, just the type of info we need, the magic of a trip usually starts with a little information about what you are trying to achieve and expectations tuned in to reality avoid disappointment. I've fancied the trip for a long time but SWmBO hasn't. For me it was when our small group of froaders did an event called the "Lousa Trial" near Porto. It was drive straight there, do the event ( pretty tough) drive straight back to Santander, we only saw a minimum, really nothing. A theme hasn't been decided but we're up for most things of interest, we are real anoraks so we should be OK. Thanks to everyone for the input, it's really appreciated, hope everyones trips and repeated trips are a success, Best regards, Bill Westley

I am using the LD lines Poole to Gijon ferry in a couple of weeks cost 572 Euro return, landcruiser 2.2 m high, inc cabin

Andy

We chose September, but its pricier, as the retirees start heading for Spain with their caravans then.

Im paying £700.00

The price on the return was more expensive as it didnt get booked early enough.....

Its a lot of money though, may well give one of the cheaper ones a try in 2016, although the shorter journey to Plymouth is a big plus.

Pete

Its a lot of money though, may well give one of the cheaper ones a try in 2016, although the shorter journey to Plymouth is a big plus.

Having a rest next year?

we will be going back in 2016 but to another area

All this talk made me get on with checking my own dates and costs. I'm on as tight a budget as possible. The rarer 'economie' crossing dates dont dovetail ideally with my plans, and a 26hr crossing vs. using the chunnel and a potentially 12hr drive (if done directly) that more than £100 cheaper (in fuel compared to ferry fare) seems more appealing. I think I'll just meander back up through france and make the most of the time - it's meant to be a road trip!

i like the break on the ferry

Last edited:
All this talk made me get on with checking my own dates and costs. I'm on as tight a budget as possible. The rarer 'economie' crossing dates dont dovetail ideally with my plans, and a 26hr crossing vs. using the chunnel and a potentially 12hr drive (if done directly) that more than £100 cheaper (in fuel compared to ferry fare) seems more appealing. I think I'll just meander back up through france and make the most of the time - it's meant to be a road trip!

Meander through the Dordogne and stop here for BBQ and stuff! Still a long way down for driving but can feed you up for the next leg ;)

Also on these long transit drives through Europe you have to think about vehicle sympathy and driver fatigue.
We have done it both ways over the years and always found sailing to Northern Spain always out weights the drive through France when time and deadlines may be tight.
Remember you have to drive back as well!

Back