Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Few questions :)

HiX123

Country Flag
australia
Hey guys, Land Cruiser / Mechanical noob here so forgive me if I use the wrong terminology or any of my questions are a bit out there.

About 3 months ago, I purchased my first landcruiser, decided I'd get an 80 series and ideally I wanted a turbo diesel. So onto gumtree I went, after weeks of searching I finally found advertised a "1HDT 80 series" with just about everything rebuilt (Diffs, Transfer, Gearbox, Engine).

First of my problems (or just wanting to find out what I actually have...) A few people that have looked at my cruiser have told me it's in fact a 1HZ however the original owner had receipts and everything for the parts needed for a rebuild for a 1HDT, could anyone tell me how on earth I'd be able to tell what engine I actually have in my car? I have a receipt from the previous owner for a 1hz block but everything else seems to be 1HDT on the second lot of receipts.

Secondly, I was recently told by friends driving with me that I was puffing out a bit of white smoke as I was accelerating. I went home and gave it a good rev and she sooted a tiny bit and then spread into more of a white/gray colour. (I don't believe it's been tuned for the turbo so maybe not getting enough, or getting too much fuel) Is this normal? I notice it a lot driving at night when I have a set of headlights behind me, it seems to be just before it comes onto boost that it smokes then once on boost she settles down. I also noticed that when idling at traffic lights or stopped somewhere she's puffing smoke but again, I only see it in certain lighting. Is this just a normal diesel thing? I've been told a tune would fix it but I don't know enough about this stuff to say!

Thirdly, After getting under the cruiser and having a look around I've come to the conclusion that I have a few leaks under there. Swivel Hubs, Transfer Case (where the tail shafts meet?), a few engine oil leaks and I think gearbox too (might be wrong about that can't remember right now!), could this be a dodgy rebuild that caused this? I have a funny feeling that the bloke before me did all the rebuilds himself as in all the receipts there is no labour charges for anything and it's all just parts that have been charged.

Thanks in advance guys and I hope this all makes sense, if you have any questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.
Cheers!

Welcome. If you post a piccy of whats under the bonnet im sure someone will be able to tell you quick enough. Im sure mine says 1hdt by the cambelt.

Don’t act on my words, but I don’t think any of the 1HDT internals are compatible with the 1HZ.

The cylinder head and pistons are different for a start, and likely much, much more.

Is there any sign on the rego to suggest an engine change?

Post up your VIN and the Engine serial no, someone might be able to confirm something.

I’ve a 1HZ engine in mine (original, not a swap) so if any photos of that might be helpful, just ask. I’ve not had a turbo fitted, but I’m told they respond well to the addition, but you must keep the boost low. I can’t give you numbers I’m afraid.

If the boost is too high, you can burn through the pistons easily, I’m told. They’re not built for turbos.

EE3C20AE-82F9-4AB5-8E77-DA81D5060A72.jpeg
Hey guys sorry for the late reply, the previous owner did tell me the engine had been changed at one point. Here’s a photo of the donk if that’d help anyone tell me what I have haha

I may be mistaken but that looks like a 1hz with an aftermarket turbo and inter cooler added.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Should be on the VIN plate on the bulkhead unless it’s had an engine swap. It’s certainly had an Intercooler added.

You could try putting your model number into Toyodiy which I believe should say what it left the factory with.

Looks just like my 1HZ .... excluding the turbo bits...

Back