Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Field Mechanics Course

fridayman

Garage
This past weekend a few of us went on Greg's field mechanics course and had a pretty good time.

Our classroom
SDC10161.jpg

Day 1's lesson on wheel bearings and cv's went on till about 10pm
SDC10178.jpg

After a late bite to eat we went out for a play
SDC10188.jpg

The next day we carried on with a lesson on swapping out suspension at the roadside
SDC10212.jpg

Ian showed up in 2 Landcruisers, one for sleeping
SDC10192.jpg

And another for playing
SDC10268.jpg

Here is a pic of Ian playing
SDC10215.jpg

And Ian playing about 30 yards down the road
SDC10248.jpg

This plasma rope definitely earns its keep
SDC10259.jpg

If this monster was getting stuck my 90 had no chance...
SDC10225.jpg

Urm, two pics of the course and the rest of Ian being stuck. Sounds like a good trip :cool: ;)

So good weekend then? Learn much from the course? (read: bush repairs are hard, limp to the nearest mechanic and pay him)

Course was very good. Good balance between 80 and 90 series. Went through simple things from fixing a puncture through to more complicated e.g. replacing a CV on an 80. Worked through tool kit, servicing and how to bodge a repair to get you to civilisation if need be. Also went through spares to take overlanding. Greg allowed for the topics to be driven by the attendees so it was worth being active. Had a decent exploration of battery systems and oh yes, there was a little bit of time left over for some fun in the woods where Greg challenged Ian with the deepest holes he could find - and a night drive which was novel. All the time we were looked after well by Ragan in the camp and we didn't finish until around 9.30ish on Saturday night on day one because it felt right to keep going - which is what you'd do in the bush. For me as a newbie, it was bloody worthwhile but I'm sure more knowledgeable folk would find it useful too. Recommended. Some more pics from my insty.
Setting up camp
IMG_4516.jpg

Getting the hub of to change the wheel bearing
IMG_4540.jpg

Into CV
IMG_4568.jpg

IMG_4571.jpg

Changing UV joint
IMG_4537.jpg

On Sunday changing rear suspension on 90 series
IMG_4574.jpg

And then there was Ian
IMG_4581.jpg

IMG_4638.jpg

IMG_4640.jpg

Will have a look at other camera to see if there are more decent shots of the workshop. The course was held in Picadilly Wood north of Burgess Hill and is a great site.

Now i think this pic has got to be in consideration for the back of the club business cards crispin!

Brilliant shot.

IMG_4640.jpg

Crispin said:
Urm, two pics of the course

's cause I was paying attention, innit :)

It was a very useful course. Because I knew so little, I probably distracted Greg quite a lot with all my questions. Greg was very happy to answer all questions though. What I liked about the course was that he taught us not just how to carry out one or two tasks, but how to prepare and deal with the unexpected in a potentially trip ending situation e.g. how many people carry a spare starter motor? An auto with a dead starter motor aint going nowhere... etc.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Here are some of the items that I currently do not have in my toolkit, but soon will:

Large locking pliers
SDC10199.jpg

Good puncture repair kit
SDC10176.jpg

Breaker bar, lighting and wire crimping tools
SDC10175.jpg

Heat
SDC10168.jpg

Err... little "anvils"
SDC10164.jpg

Copper hammer
SDC10163.jpg

Lots and lots of rags
SDC10205.jpg

It was a great weekend.

Even though I have done a lot of mechanical work on my cars I picked up some good tips and different ways of doing things.

Ragan did a brilliant job of keeping us all fed and supplied with hot drinks.

As those of you who know me are aware I do like to drive into big mud holes! I had not been to this site before and Greg was on a mission to get me stuck. As the pictures show, he did.

Thanks Greg, Ragan and the rest of your team.

Ian

Overall it was a great weekend. Very informative.

Highlight for me was the 'night sortie' through the woods. Great fun.

Heres a few videos:
[youtube:1qhwp7ce]OgxWKNWNf0k[/youtube:1qhwp7ce]

[youtube:1qhwp7ce]RAeyXAYLvho[/youtube:1qhwp7ce]

Copper hammer will mot damage things. You can hit a bearing with a copper hammer and you'll not mark it. The copper is softer.

I'm guessing the large locking pliers are just a nice-to-have as you'll no doubt have something large that needs holding. Looks like they'll mike a nice holder for my beer can if nothing else. :lol:

Any hardware store selling copper plumbing pipe will sell a small blowtorch. Local B&Q have them for £12.

Nice vids BTW!

The large locking pliers were used quite a bit. They worked on filters and also, the shocks have a knurled band at one end which is toughened and allows you to hold onto the shocks which helped when changing. As Crispin says, copper hammer was used for bashing everything, hub, universal joint etc without damaging the steel. Blowtorch was great for loosening stubborn nuts.

Tommo, on the pic, i have a 2 meg version if anybody is interested.

We would like to say a big thank you to all of you that attended the course. It seems that you enjoyed your time in the woods and picked up some tips and tricks that will hopefully help you out one day when you need it.
Thanks again
Greg and Ragan

I was going to post comments about the course but I couldn't add anything more than has already been said by the others on the course. Many thanks Greg and Ragan :cool: we had a great time, and more importantly learned a lot.
Chas

So when's the new winch / pump set up going in then Ian? :mrgreen:

That looks a crack that boys :thumbup: :mrgreen: Very Ray Mears but with more grease :lol:

Jon Wildsmith said:
So when's the new winch / pump set up going in then Ian? :mrgreen:

The sooner the better :oops: It is out of my control at the moment, just waiting my turn. I have asked if it will all be in place by Lincomb and have been told it should be :pray:

Hi,
Is this course going to run again anytime soon? I would be really interested in going on it if possible. Does anyone know the contact details of the organisers so I can find out?
Thanks,
Pete

Hi Pete,

Sorry, the company running this course has closed down.

Ian

Back