Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fiery

Trev, strange that you struggled so much with those rear two bell housing bolts. I know the exact ones you're talking about but with a small enough spanner I was able to undo them with the engine in it's original position and didn't have to do anything with the transmission. The difficulty I had was moving the engine forward enough to get over the torque converter. The clutch assembly is a low narrower.

The winch hook off Lil Blue through Fiery's sunroof, down through the hole in the top of the transmission tunnel to a strop around the gearbox, then slowly winch in. :icon-wink:

:clap: Bravo Ben, you have a knack for nothing stopping you :lol: Like it :thumbup:

Got a bit more done today, ChrisGreen90 wanted the sump and pickup pipework for his SAS off my engine and as he was "in the area" he popped over with his sump and pipework so we could swap.

I popped the sump and bits off and put new ACL BEB'S into the new engine with new conrod bolts.

D697CDC6-18D4-4C38-9BE3-9763608D5A95_zpshoidlfbm.jpg

29DB80DD-A796-424B-BFBB-3973C993A26A_zps2qkzzgjt.jpg

E361615C-7BEC-43FB-9587-5C07B935E85E_zps987boilz.jpg

CA93333F-05D1-463E-B449-2822A3EDE00E_zpsvwuwyfys.jpg

Old BEB'S weren't too bad, Top left and top right are from cyl 1 and 2, bottom left and bottom right from cyl 3 and 4. These last 2 look a bit more worn than the others.

30F42E12-5158-4D02-93E8-1E432A94ED93_zpsqeab7mdm.jpg

Chris arrived and we put the his pipework on but hit a small snag.

DACC72EF-A378-42CC-9E83-C613DC7A136F_zpsygrthlra.jpg

AC4317AA-F7C0-4F18-92D5-6AE804E0D787_zpscpqybwqw.jpg

For some reason the Surf block has the union studs the other way round, so I hack sawed through the pipe, turned the union the right way and Chris welded the pipework back up.

3B305B4A-9984-4D56-A8C6-2EEECB7E76E4_zpshuk6qtt2.jpg

Put sump on temporarily and will clean it up and seal this week, Chris departed back up North after a few brews and the forecast rain held off.

Last edited:
3B305B4A-9984-4D56-A8C6-2EEECB7E76E4_zpshuk6qtt2.jpg

Put sump on temporarily and will clean it up and seal this week, Chris departed back up North after a few brews and the forecast rain held off.

So Glad the HSE were not around for this. I didn't have my hi vis on. Wonder how many other violations there were. lol

Nah Chris, you were conducting a risk assessment with a very very bright led torch. Only HSE violation I can see is that someone could trip over next doors lawn.

Nah, you weren't actually at work so you'd be in your rights to jolly well ask them to leave in any manner you fancied.

Now if the welding police turned up...ahh that could be tricky

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I was a bit concerned about arc eye. I've only ever welded with oxy-acetylene, so glasses or a visor was more for comfort and convenience. But I did watch a guy arc welding when I was about 17 (only 44 years ago) and I can still "see" a blind spot on my right eye from that.

I'm convinced it was that that caused it because I suffered a very sore eye for some days after the event.

By the way, the unprotected spade looks dangerous too in that photo :lol:

I suffered arc eye once when I was working in a dark place and couldn't see the socket I was testing for live, when I stuck the tester in the socket to see if it was live and it shorted and gave a brilliant flash. I found later some numpty had put a fuse wire of massive proportions in the rewireable fuse as that socket had repeatedly been blowing which had put a coating of carbon around the socket itself which I didn't see because it was dark so when my tester was inserted it blew big time.
angry-004.gif

Luckily I had an apprentice with me because driving the firms van back to base, right outside Victoria Station my eyes were suddenly on fire, it was like having soapy sand thrown in my eyes, I couldn't see the road let alone drive, so the apprentice, who didn't have a license, took over and drove me to the hospital.

No lasting effects though, but like you Clive very sore for a few days.

Only just spotted the additions to this thread.

Too bloody right I'm a good mate!

Never known a gearbox so awkward.
Oh and for blanking off the egr just do what I did with Chewy, stick a ball bearing in the vacuum that actuates it. Saves making plates up and the hassle of taking it off if the engine is in.

I had planned to continue with Fiery this weekend, Ed and Tom being due to pop down and lend a hand. Chris popped down on Thursday to drop off some bits for Lil' Blue and helped me get the steering control valve back onto the rack (I'll post that as a separate refurb thread), we sort of popped down to the pub for an afternoon pint which ended up in Chris offering to stop over and give me a hand on Friday.

Changed the clutch release bearing

425548A6-B650-4F3C-90E2-84D7D1844246_zpsjctsx6k6.jpg

Old one still working well even if a bit manky.

35F4A584-22BF-4C15-9CBA-B296A5C2103D_zpsrndrlhwk.jpg

New clutch lever gaiter from Toyota as it was missing

246945F1-B78E-4391-9654-E9AAD152AC34_zpsilr8vtaf.jpg

Cleaned block and sump of old sealant

0EC97EE0-DE71-473B-A8E8-D0649CD24822_zpswsmt2ylg.jpg

A breeze to get off with this

0D613117-0E87-4869-8782-7A24911C397D_zps3p4m6saq.jpg

New bead of Wynns gasket silicone.

44F22896-3B65-44B9-974B-2E6E4F061AF4_zps777jkbj2.jpg

I didn't get to take much in the way of photos after this point. We got the engine into the bay and then Chris spotted the engine mounts were too small.

9B67E15C-C1F5-4C5F-9461-AAA2E1D197E2_zpsjwps4lzi.jpg

I hadn't taken the time to really look closely at the Surf engine and Colorado engine as I'd assumed it was a straight drop in swap (even though Ed had mentioned I should a week or so ago :oops:) . Actually there is quite a lot of stuff to swap over or remove

Engine mounts need swapping over.
Surf engine has a couple of lower brackets that the gearbox mounts to , these have to come off for the Colorado.
Oil Dipstick is on the wrong side of the block - means the turbo air intake pipe fouls on the dipstick.
Rocker cover needs swapping otherwise you lose a mounting point for the turbo air inlet pipe.
Sump needs changing (already done).
Flywheel needs changing (already done).
Heater hoses, the Surf had the hoses that include the Tee for the rear heater, needed to put the SWB Colorado ones on.
Turbo dump pipe from exhaust manifold to exhaust needs swapping over.

We did all these except the rocker cover and dipstick which probably added another couple of hours to our day.

Chris and Ed removed the transfer box and got the gearbox onto the engine, we spent some time while the transfer was out to figure out if was busted, still not 100% sure, it got put back on and I'll test drive it and see what happens.

Swapped over starter, alternator and aircon bracket as the aircon pulley was in better condition. Treated Fiery to a new set of belts.

Poured fresh oil in and found we had a leak from the oil level sender, drained oil and found the 'O' ring on the sender had gone. So used the sender from the Surf sump and refilled with oil. Now the oil was really leaking badly from the sender. What we discovered is that the 4 10mm bolts that hold the sender on the Surf are about 4mm longer the the Colorado ones, when I bolted them up the longer thread has pulled the metal sender holder away from the side of the sump.

Chris had a go at welding this up but my freebie welder is frankly pants and not up to the job.

We did take the opportunity before spotting the first leak to crank the engine over to build oil pressure and then start it for a few seconds to check it runs. Started really easily so all looking good on that score.

Tom stripped out the seats in readiness to put in the Leather seats from the VX, I bought these as a it of a gamble but now see they have come out of a LWB, so the rear seat won't fit over the wheel arch and the front seats won't flip forwards to allow a passenger into the back. Looks like I'll have to chuck them on eBay.

Refitted the rear prop this morning and bolted the bonnet back on, parked Fiery on the drive and wait for a mate of mine with a decent welder to pop over next week and see if we can fix the sump, really hope that works otherwise it's either engine out or front axle removal to get the sump off.

Not much to do after that and assuming transfer is okay before Fiery is back on the road.

Well done Trevor, what a pain there's so many fiddly little differences between models, I have never understood why vehicle manufacturing isn't more standard fitment orientated, I'm sure it would be more economical... :think:

Blimey Trev' :shock: That's a fair list is that lot :icon-exclaim:

Fingers crossed for for some luck for you m8 :pray:

I think Fiery is reacting to the surgery, I can't really take the credit for this progress as Ed and Chris got stuck into the tough stuff but I learnt heaps. Certainly past the worst and on the home straight now.

If I can fix the original engine then I'd love to put it back into Fiery so it goes back to how it should be, but that's to be determined further down the road.

On a lighter note I now have and got to play with stud extractors and nut removers, more tools mmmmm

Had a good weekend mate. Nice to see Ed again. Patience of a saint that guy, putting up with you for so long. Was a bit of a hard slog but your definitely over the worst now matey. biggest thing is that she started up with no real drama. Saturday was a bit of a struggle with my back but we got the box in there.

Think you just need to inform your sis though that a 40mm body lift, solid axle conversion and 37" tyres are now needed purely for maintenance!!!!!

What did the clutch look like Trev'?

It was ment to have been a new one fitted only months before I bought Fiery!

I can see some of the white grease that I'd sprayed in there over the time I'd owned her as the clutch pedal kind of creaked when pressed on occasion. This could be cured with a quick squirt of white grease through the clutch lever hole onto the back of the thrust bearing :)

She never had a boot around the hole and lever and to honest I never considered that there should be one either :shhh:

What did the clutch look like Trev'?

It was ment to have been a new one fitted only months before I bought Fiery!

I can see some of the white grease that I'd sprayed in there over the time I'd owned her as the clutch pedal kind of creaked when pressed on occasion. This could be cured with a quick squirt of white grease through the clutch lever hole onto the back of the thrust bearing :)

She never had a boot around the hole and lever and to honest I never considered that there should be one either :shhh:

The clutch was near enough dead, it wouldn't have lasted much longer tbh.

Back