FJcrew

Country Flag
united_states
Your name: Jonas
Your Cruiser: 1979 (+/-) FJ40
Mods on your Cruiser: Still sorting that out
Plans for your Cruiser: I just want to get it sorted out
4x4 Experience: Minimal

I got my first FJ40 when I was an impoverished college student in the early 90's. Even so, I fought a valiant battle to keep it on the road. Rebuilt engine, body and paint work, etc... Until I sold it in 1998. Something I have regretted that ever since.

Fast forward to this Christmas, when my wife gave me a bottle of Maker's Mark, and a framed sketch of an FJ40, and said "go for it." This was significant, because she was around when I got the first one, and knows what to expect!

So I did. And while I am no longer a broke student, I am by no means wealthy. So once again, I've picked up someones cast off. I know very little about it (although apparently more than the seller.) The build plate is missing, and the frame number would indicate a European build, I think. It has the 2f engine, mated to a 5 speed transmission. The OEM style soft top is in decent condition, but someone has installed a poor replica of the OEM roll bar. The body looks decent from about 10 feet away, but up close it has some issues which will need to be addressed some day.

But it runs and drives. I don't need it to be perfect. As soon as I can get it shipped back, I will dig in and discover the history.

FLA fj40.jpg

Hi FJ and welcome. Great intro, great truck and a great project ahead so hopefully you will get everything sorted and show us pics of what you're doing along the way. You've come to the right place, this is a very friendly forum with loads of helpful members. Some are even in the States. :)

I had the chance of a 40 in the 90s too but ended up in a Mk1 Mitsubishi Shogun (Montero in the states maybe?) which I loved. Wrong decision as the 40 would be worth a mint restored by now but hey, I have my 80 now which I also love. Hope to get a 40 some day too though.

Looking forward to hearing about the resto ration and seeing the pics.

Best wishes
Richard

Bugger, I missed this somehow, welcome aboard FJcrew and FJ40.

Love it, it's a beauty...

Hello FLcrew,
Your FJ is the same colour as my first cruiser a BJ40 NZ import to UK. Loved it and only sold it as moved to NZ!!
Anyway, looking forward to hearing of your adventures and what you do to it

Hi and welcome good looking 40 you have love the 40s.

Welcome - looks tidy---from a distance! Enjoy your truck and keep sending photos please.
Geoff

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back