Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Finally got a cruiser

A1aardvark

Country Flag
australia
Hi
my name is Andrew and my new(old) truck I call "the White Elephant" is a 94 all white 80 series petrol Gxl auto. Previously I had a very problematic Hilux Surf but at least it got me out on the tracks.

Milage, about 400000 last time looked.

Mods, stock bloody standard except for Safari snorkel, after market extractors and part time 4wd kit installed.

Off road experience, dirt road touring in Oz. ive done trips in far north Queensland and Northern Territory but mostly in southeast Queensland near Brisbane where I live. I've also done a couple of weekends at local 4wd parks but stick to the easy stuff. I'm yet to any offloading in my new truck but first trip will probably be Fraser Island.

Bit more about my truck

The good, cheep to buy and overall mechanically and ascetically it's pretty good with a tidy interior and only a couple minor oil leaks. It drives really nicely with no bad steering habits. I got the last owners complete mechanical history for 3 years so I know every thing thats been fixed. Being very stock its pretty much a blank canvass. It looks like it hasn't been off road or on the beech much cause there's no under carriage damage or under body rust. Extractors seem to give the old girl a bit of guts. It's never been on gas.

The bad, big k's and no history beyond the previous owner. Rust around the rear window and sills. Sills aren't rusted through but needs to be to get sorted out soon. Very stock so lots to buy to get it offroad capable and camping ready.

The ugly, on two occasions while accelerating hard from about 20 to 40 k's on sweeping bends I heard a loud "screech bang screech bang bang" noise. I didn't feel anything through the steering or seat but I can tell you it wasn't the sound of tyres spinning. I have tried to make it happen again but it just won't happen on demand.

The indifferent, 5 really good road tyres which are pretty much worthless to me or it seems to anyone else. Checking out gumtree no one wants road tyres for their cruisers. My truck also has an alloy bullbar which pretty much on the same basket as the tyres.

The future, number one on the list is a rack for my roof top tent. initially I will probably go for 33 aggressive all terrains and basic lift to accommodate these tyres but eventually will do a 3 inch suspension lift. I have already purchased some rock sliders but I also want a steel winch bar and rear tyre carrier/jerry can holder...

... You know it goes, the list is endless. Lol

Last edited:
australia-flag-06.gif
G'day Andrew, welcome to the forum, sounds like you've got everything under control there, sorry can't help you with the screech noise but it's late at night here in the UK mosy of us have gone to bed but I'm sure someone will come along in the morning with some suggestions.

G'Day Andrew. An Aussie and an 80 series owner, now. Everything is looking good so far.

I'm an old timer here, been, wow, all of a week... :icon-biggrin:

Re the noises, has someone put a auto mechanical diff locker in the rear perhaps? It's not easy diagnosing a "screech bang bang screech bang" over the Internet, but the description and conditions suggest you might want to check it out.

But sounds like you've got a great foundation for years of fun ahead.
Cheers

Yeah g'day
I to was wondering about an auto locker but doesn't seem like the kind of existing set up on this truck (eg no lift, road tyres ect) to have one.

Back