Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

finally got one

cuiserboy

Country Flag
england
I've been looking around for a 100 for a while and decided in the end on this one. It's a low mileage 4.7 in generally good condition. A few things needed to be sorted, but overall I've been happy with it so far. Thought I'd show some pics!

Unsurprisingly, the reg on it currently wasn't included in the deal. It'll be going back to to its original 2003 plate once seller has done the transfer

upload_2018-3-17_13-40-57.png

As you can see it's come with a few extras. Has a substantial Rhino rack, and an array of LEDs.

upload_2018-3-17_13-42-53.png

upload_2018-3-17_13-43-18.png

The lights have a switch to activate nicely positioned under the steering wheel area, and a remote - nbr 1 sets right and front, nbr 2 left and rear
upload_2018-3-17_13-44-17.png

It also has a substantial winch, which I've not quite worked out how to operate yet...:). There's also some long power cable that looks to be part of the package
upload_2018-3-17_13-45-42.png

In the rear left side where I'd expect the jack and tool set to be there's this LCD, it comes on when the three position switch is down. I think it may be related to the winch?
upload_2018-3-17_13-46-31.png

Opening up that cover there's some wiring and what I presume is the wireless transmitter for the LEDs
upload_2018-3-17_13-47-52.png

Engine bay has some custom stuff going on as well...

upload_2018-3-17_13-48-33.png

The tyres are BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO. They're not as noisy as I thought they'd be when driving at motorway speeds, but definitely noticeable (though I've been driving a Lexus LS430 prior to this, so quite a difference :)).

upload_2018-3-17_13-49-12.png

Driver-side wing mirror has broken glass. I have tried replacing just the glass with a Toyota OEM part (seller already had it) but can't get the damn thing to fit. Going to get this checked as it's not fully extending out.

Overall though, am thrilled with this beast. It's only going to be used weekends/holidays (I work from home) so not too bothered about MPG and not looking to get it converted. I doubt if I'll be doing more than 3K miles a year (I did around 2K last year in the Lexus).

Main reason I got this (apart from always lusting after one of the big land cruisers for a long time) is that we got a couple of working cockers last year and so wanted lots of space for dogs and family. This does the job perfectly!

upload_2018-3-17_13-55-32.png

Things on the to-do list:

* Service - currently weighing up whether to take it to local Toyota or use west coast off-road, who I see get a good rep here and on other forums, and just happen to be a few miles from here :)

* tilt motor has gone. Typical failure I know. Not sure if I should order the part myself and get it replaced ((I'm no mechanic) or speak to Toyota (I expect that may be expensive...). I could just leave it as it is of course.

* Steering wheel needs aligning. It's cocked slightly to the left when going in a straight line. I believe this can be corrected via the linkage. Will get it checked when having it serviced.

* Driver's side mirror. PITA that I can't get just the glass replaced.

* Driver's side fog lamp has water ingress. I've seen this on so many 100's that I presume it's a design fault. Should be easy to fix or replace though.

Apart from that, it's all good, drives great. I just need to work out all this custom wiring :). upload_2018-3-17_14-8-58.png

Last edited:
Congratulations on the purchase Paul, looks to be a good example, the panels are straight and the steering wheel hasn’t been chewed by a dog :lol:

What’s it like underneath? 100s always scare me, the amount of rust I’ve seen in some photos.

Enjoy!

Thanks Clive. Not too bad underneath. I had a good scratch and sniff, and also brought a mechanic friend with me to get a more expert opinion. Everything looked very straight and in line with a 15 year old truck with 93K on the clock. Think the exhaust will need replacing soon but that and a few other things was all captured into the discount we knocked the price down to :).

Congrats on the 100, I would recommend West Coast for any work on it, I have used them many times and always been happy....

Definitely take it to west coast off-road!

You can 100% trust Paul to give it a once over and tell you what it needs.

Looks a great bus! Whereabouts are you?

EDIT...just seen youre in Southport. Wcor is just round the corner. If you're not sure who to use for servicing, call in for a look and see their set up.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The "Long wire" is the remote for winding the winch in and out. Some winches also have a radio remote controller. That black box with the aerial is the exact same case we use in clay pigeon shooting for releasing targets and I am guessing it is too big to be used for the winch or lights?? Three position switch? In/Off/Out back up for winch?

Nice truck.

Toyota dealerships will really just price gouge you so another recommendation for West Coast

Definitely take it to west coast off-road!

You can 100% trust Paul to give it a once over and tell you what it needs.

Looks a great bus! Whereabouts are you?

EDIT...just seen youre in Southport. Wcor is just round the corner. If you're not sure who to use for servicing, call in for a look and see their set up.

Yes they're pretty much walking distance from me. which is handy :).

The "Long wire" is the remote for winding the winch in and out. Some winches also have a radio remote controller. That black box with the aerial is the exact same case we use in clay pigeon shooting for releasing targets and I am guessing it is too big to be used for the winch or lights?? Three position switch? In/Off/Out back up for winch?

Yes the long cable is certainly the remote for the winch - has a toggle switch to extend/retract . I've not tried connecting i up yet though. TBH I'm not sure I'll be in situations where I'll need it, but the winch itself is so substantially mounted to the frame that I'll be leaving it on. Will come in handy for any tailgaters :).

That does sound like a reasonable explanation for the three position switch (though not sure what the LCD is telling me when the switch is at position 3). I will figure all this out at some point though!

Well done, that looks like the right truck, the right auto box and some would say that the right colour too. It looks great. Looks like the P.O. was a bit of a gadget man. Not sure about the winch though as it sticks out quite a bit and anything attached to that towbar more than a Halfords trailer will put a lot of up and down stress on that area.

Well done, that looks like the right truck, the right auto box and some would say that the right colour too. It looks great. Looks like the P.O. was a bit of a gadget man. Not sure about the winch though as it sticks out quite a bit and anything attached to that towbar more than a Halfords trailer will put a lot of up and down stress on that area.

I was thinking the same Rich, and TBH, the use I’ve had from a winch (on the front) has been intense (off-roading of course) and I don’t think I would have had any chance to do what I’ve done with (only) a rear winch.

I do like the idea though, but not as a permanent fixture. Because of the receiver in my rear ARB bumper, I’ve considered a detachable rear winch tray with some sort of fixed power supply socket, so it would simply plug in when fitted. Pipe dreams only I’m afraid, but again, I don’t think I’d get much use out of it, certainly not like I have with the front winch.

My problems always seem to be losing grip climbing, needing a front winch pull, or simply bogging in on the level where a front or rear winch would resolve the problem. Rear winches make me think of pulling myself out of trouble and then going home, instead of onward to achieve what I set out to do :lol:

Your idea of an inboard winch with pulley/snatch-block options for front and rear is the ideal, one winch, fully versatile use... :thumbup:

Back