Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Finding a 60 series that isn’t rotten

MGC

Country Flag
great_britain
Seen two 60 series land cruisers come up in the last week which is unusual but both look very rotten. One on Facebook for £12.5k! And one on eBay now so will see what it goes for.

toyota land cruiser barn find classic | eBay - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

What are my chances of finding one that isn’t rotten or has been properly repaired? I’d pay good money for one but I’ve only seen one in the years I’ve been looking as missed out!

Photos flatter, I can't believe some of the prices asked ( or maybe thats where the market is?) for 60's these days.
What are my chances of finding one that isn’t rotten or has been properly repaired? I’d pay good money for one but I’ve only seen one in the years I’ve been looking as missed out!

Totally depends on your budget and what you expect for it.

One on eblag was last MOT'd 2007 by the looks of the DVLA site!!! You'd be brave to take that one on as a project!

Reactions: MGC
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That one on eBay looks like you’ll need 2 welders to put it right

There was a restored red 80 for sale last week up in Scotland. Believe it was on car and classic auction. Round light model looked good. Wasn't perfect but really nice. Was asking £15k.

Has anyone done this? Certainly gives more options but never looked into it
It can and has been done , plenty of dealers out there doing it as well , definitely worth researching because by and large its guaranteed to be in better condition than anything thats spent its life in British weather .

Looked into importing an hj61 with specifically a high roof with cable lockers and aircon from japan to uk. Mileage under 150k was a target and if it had a pto winch then great.
As Shayne says the rust problems we face here are much much better in japan and there are still vehicles available.
But what I wanted was £35k door to door handled, which i felt was just too much at the time given there were still good 80’s available here 4 years ago.
Yes you can easily spend more than £35k restoring a uk car (i wonder how i know this!!) but the expense can be phased over your preferred time scale and once the priorities are done you may drive it for 6 months of the year perhaps then send it in for more welding etc each winter until its done?

Looking at this the red one that sold the other week doesn’t seem that expensive?

The price of Land Cruisers in Japan has shot up, especially since Covid. Also quite a few are going to America as well, which only adds to the demand.

£35k is way more than it cost me to import a 3 year old 79 double cab back in 2018, so that might put things in perspective! You could get UK 200 series for a lot less.....

Way the world is going i have more hope for older diesels than i do newer ones , very soon there will be a very strong argument for preserving "classic cars" legislation concerning which is long overdue an overhaul .

Nobody owns a 20+ year old car worth more than 10 grand because they are skint which needs to be recognized . Thats votes right there .

Looked into importing an hj61 with specifically a high roof with cable lockers and aircon from japan to uk. Mileage under 150k was a target and if it had a pto winch then great.
As Shayne says the rust problems we face here are much much better in japan and there are still vehicles available.
But what I wanted was £35k door to door handled, which i felt was just too much at the time given there were still good 80’s available here 4 years ago.
Yes you can easily spend more than £35k restoring a uk car (i wonder how i know this!!) but the expense can be phased over your preferred time scale and once the priorities are done you may drive it for 6 months of the year perhaps then send it in for more welding etc each winter until its done?
Thank you for this info. Exactly what I was after. Yes £35k is more than I am looking to spend. What you say about phasing the spend is spot on and what I am looking to do. This is what I’ve been doing on my e46 M3 over the last few years. They may well rust worse than any land cruiser! Last winter I did the rear underside and this one I will tackle the front arches. I hope to find a 60 in the best condition I can though and don’t mind paying good money for one with less corrosion

Back