Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fire Extinguisher Advice Please

Hutton

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
I was wondering if anyone has any advice as to what fire extinguisher is a good buy and possible places to fit in the 100 series. Many Thanks.

Toolstation and Screwfix have a fair selection for general use

Under / in front of front passenger seat is a good spot.
Remember that if you ever use powder to put out a fire, you have to write off the car, or for ever chase gremlins. But still, it's better than loosing a life, or getting stuck in the desert.

Mate of mine just got a couple of these. A nice lightweight option to keep within easy reach.

i got mine from halfords, did about three different sizes iirc.

Yeah I've heard too that the powder is extremely corrosive longer term but like you say anything bigger than a fire you can stamp out with your foot is likely a write off anyway and at least you will have a chance of making the scene safe and allowing you to recover at least some contents. I have a 2kg powder extinguisher in my 'workshop' spare room but that's probably in excess of 4kg total plus it's quite large and bulky. You want something aerosol can size or slightly larger.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Watermist fire extinguishers are available and are suitable for A, B and C class fires plus they are safe to use on electrical stuff.

They can be used in a confined space i.e. they are non toxic.

One issue with powder extinguishers is that with the vibration in the vehicle the powder sets over time and if you don't break up the powder by knocking the extinguisher on something before using it, it won't be effective.

There is a price differential but whilst I'm fortunate enough not to have had to use one, the watermist route seems like a good idea from the investigation I've done.

Back