Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fire Extinguisher

Brian S

Country Flag
england
Where does everybody fix their fire extinguishers, trying to work out the best place
Thinking passenger footwell against the centre tunnel/gear stick

Or is there a better place?

A common location I’ve seen in any vehicle, is behind your heels (driver and/or passenger) sideways mounted along the front edge of the seat. If you can mount it there, on the seat, even better, it will move forward and backwards with the seat, always giving you as much heel-room as possible.

Ive got mine, standard size CO2 on the proper strap secured bracket, alongside the rear seat between the door and the seat. A smaller unit would fit there well but passengers (which are rare in my car) need to be a bit careful getting in and out as it can catch heels.

I used to have one on the seat frame in my Mk 1 Shogun but it doesn't seem to fit too well in the cruiser. I also intended to move mine to fit in the back next to my drawers but I haven't allowed enough room. :whistle: So I may investigate Clive's footwell idea and possibly revisit alongside the driver's seat by the door as it's the ideal position IF it can be made to fit.

Where does everybody fix their fire extinguishers, trying to work out the best place
Thinking passenger footwell against the centre tunnel/gear stick

Or is there a better place?
I have a small powder one on the transmission tunnel by my feet another inside the tailgate a 2kg CO2 inside the offside passenger door and a sort of gas producing one that you strike like a giant match (I think that one displaces the oxygen) in the cubby box beside the drivers seat.

I have a small powder one on the transmission tunnel by my feet another inside the tailgate a 2kg CO2 inside the offside passenger door and a sort of gas producing one that you strike like a giant match (I think that one displaces the oxygen) in the cubby box beside the drivers seat.
Are you expecting something Chas? :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've been considering an AFFF operated from the cab with a hose into the engine compartment, always best to be prepared Rich don't you think?
Totally Chas, I couldn't agree more. you can get the ones with a tube that melts at the point of the fire so putting it out. Plus they can trigger a solenoid or other electrical shutdown.

Thanks gents
Chas that lot I take it fits alongside the lifejacket and rubber ring :)

So what is this fire Stryker all about, never heard of it before. Is it just an oxydisation agent that depletes O2 ?

So what is this fire Stryker all about, never heard of it before. Is it just an oxydisation agent that depletes O2 ?

From the website:

"
The use of a potassium powder jet – an unique method among fire extinguishers – involves the vaporization of the powder in the environment
followed by the condensation of its extinguishing substance. The product works by interrupting a fire’s chain of reaction (the “auto-catalyst” of the fire). The device is composed of stable, solid minerals; it does not contain gas and is not pressurized. The aerosol-like jet is only produced when the charger is stricken with its base. The produced aerosol jet is essentially an inert salt that emits gas already present in the atmosphere.

This process allows Fire Stryker to extinguish all types of fires through saturation. Its slow biodegradation in the environment furthers the prevention of subsequent fires.

The extinguishing process involves two different reactions: one is physical and the other, chemical. The physical reaction relates to potassium’s tendency to oxidize rapidly in air. When it comes into contact with air, alkaline salts consume great quantities of oxygen, thus depriving fires of oxygen. The chemical reaction is created through the stable link between potassium particles and the fire’s combustion particles.

Through these two reactions, a quick oxidation process takes place, immediately transforming the jet from a solid state into a gaseous state which frees the potassium particles. These atoms are able to intercept and interrupt any other free particles produced by the fire’s chain reaction combustion process. Potassium has strong inhibitor qualities, due to its weak ionisation energies."

It looks impressive on video.

Thanks for the firestryker link...

I've bought one, and it's now fastened to the cargo barrier over the drivers side passenger seat. Hopefully I'll never need to use it.

Back