Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

First breakdown in nine years

Knucklehead

Title says it all really.

Out in the arse end of nowhere having lunch with my young fella, went to drive home and clatter/bang from the starter. Tried usual thumping it but no go.

Must admit i sat there in shock for a bit. Just goes to show how reliable these old wagons are and the surprise when they stop.

Sitting on flat land in a tight spot didn't help but eventually a 4-wheeler came along to give a tug and bump start. Joys of manual boxes.

Most likely original starter and given over 230K miles so cant complain.

From what I can see there is a nut at the top, bolt at the bottom and a couple of wires to remove and then try threading it up past the oil/fuel filter?

Old 1hdt engine so not too cluttered in there.

I carry a bunch of tools and spare parts with me but this was a breakdown I had not thought of.

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Dave have had to change the pressure power steering hose on yours?, mine is weeping and I have a new one ordered and the more I look at it the more trepidation I have, I have an 11/96 HZJ80 manual. Plenty of tips on doing the LHD models but none on the Aussie RHD cars
Cheers
Tim

Hi Tim, no not something I’ve had to replace - yet.

Think would help you if create a new post with relevant title as I have no doubt some of the guys on here will know the procedure.

By the way, spent most of my adult life living in WA before returning to the glorious Irish climate! Miss the sun.

Hope you get your answer.

Dave.

Title says it all really.

Out in the arse end of nowhere having lunch with my young fella, went to drive home and clatter/bang from the starter. Tried usual thumping it but no go.

Must admit i sat there in shock for a bit. Just goes to show how reliable these old wagons are and the surprise when they stop.

Sitting on flat land in a tight spot didn't help but eventually a 4-wheeler came along to give a tug and bump start. Joys of manual boxes.

Most likely original starter and given over 230K miles so cant complain.

From what I can see there is a nut at the top, bolt at the bottom and a couple of wires to remove and then try threading it up past the oil/fuel filter?

Old 1hdt engine so not too cluttered in there.

I carry a bunch of tools and spare parts with me but this was a breakdown I had not thought of.

Cheers, Dave.

Pretty much spot on although IIRC I pulled mine down out from the bottom? Long while since I fitted mine and not done one since. Remember to disconnect batteries before putting a spanner down there.

regards

Dave

Back