Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

First I saw this?

Beijing Ballie

Country Flag
uk
First I saw this on my driveway???

IMG_3258.jpeg

Then when i looked underneath I saw this.

IMG_3255.jpeg

It looks as if the oil is coming from behind this protection plate, four twelve mm bolts later. I saw this.

IMG_3256.jpeg

It looks as if the transfer box front output shaft oil seal has given up. ( after only 197000 miles, how dare it).

I hope it is as straightforward to change as it looks, propshaft off, output flange off, oil seal out new one in.

Has anyone done one and can share, in the meantime off to youtube Toyota engineering section.

It's an easy job. Once you get the prop off there is a nut (30mm I think) you have to remove on the output shaft. The nut is bent into a groove on the shaft, so you have to tap that out before removing the nut. It's obvious when you see it. Point being it's worth picking up a new nut when you get the seal. The seal is about 4 times the price of the nut. Roughtrax sell genuine seals and nuts.

The seal on mine was surprisingly tough to get out.

All that said, I'd be surprised if it's leaking badly enough for it to be dripping on your drive like that, That might be something else.

Thanks for that Rob i think it was dripping into the protection plate and then running out of there when i go up the drive which is on a slope. Hope so anyway, will have a little crawl around later when i have finished repairing my door panel.

Search out a recent thread where BobMurphy explains in detail how to replace the seal. It seems the nut can be extremely difficult to remove. The thread is ‘Special tools - front driveshaft oil seal’.

Back