Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

First time FJ owner

jay62182

Country Flag
canada
Hey everyone, was hoping to get some much needed help. Im looking at getting my first land cruiser and found one i like for a decent price but the previous owner doesn't have a lot of info on it. It is a 1982 FJ60.......according to the engine bay ID badge it had a 2f engine and was a model fj60lg-ka. The truck has a diesel, which the owner said is a 12HT but if i understand correctly they didn't come out until 1985. It also has a 5 speed manual transmission. He didnt think the truck was modified but i seem to think it has. Does anyone know if a 1982 came with a diesel and a manual 5 speed? If not is there anyway way for me to identify what engine and transmission is in the truck?
Thanks so much for the help, im hoping to buy it for this weekend,.......if it all works out anyway.

Hello, if the Cruiser is an 1982 one and mounts a diesel engine, then it is a HJ60 and the engine is a 2H. The 12H-T turbodiesel engine was first introduced in 1986 with the HJ60 Turbo, which soon became HJ61. The most obvious difference between the HJ60 Turbo and the HJ61 consists of headlights: round for 60, square for 61.

The 5 Speed H55F gearbox was introduced in HJ60 my 1983 even with the naturally aspirated Diesel engine 2H. If this 1982 Cruiser has a 12H-T it's swap, but a desiderable one?

Only for flippers: the FJ60 had a 4-speed H42 gearbox, the 5-speed gearbox combined with a petrol engine arrived in 1985 with the FJ62, but the gearbox was the H151F, with a very different ratio in comparison with the H55F used on diesel engines.

thanks for the info! i did end up buying the '82 fj60 last night. I guess over the years it has a few conversions because now it is running a diesel with a turbo. Not sure if it is a 12ht or not..........is there a way to find out, i dont see any tags on the engine block.
Also it has a 5 speed........it has a bull gear low and then 4 more gears........again not sure how to find out what transmission it currently is. Hoping its a h55, lol.
Any advise to point me in the right way would be awesome!
Thanks guys

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
thanks for the info! i did end up buying the '82 fj60 last night. I guess over the years it has a few conversions because now it is running a diesel with a turbo. Not sure if it is a 12ht or not..........is there a way to find out, i dont see any tags on the engine block.
Also it has a 5 speed........it has a bull gear low and then 4 more gears........again not sure how to find out what transmission it currently is. Hoping its a h55, lol.
Any advise to point me in the right way would be awesome!
Thanks guys

First step in identifying your engine is to count the number of cylinders then read this
quick rundown of the various engines that are installed in Landcriusers:

3B: 4 cylinder naturally aspirated; available in the Canadian market in BJ42, BJ60, and BJ70 as well as other markets. This engine takes very well to an aftermarket turbo.

13BT: turbo’d version of the 3B.

1PZ: 5 cylinder, naturally aspirated (very similar to the 1HZ; except missing one cylinder). Very limited production run from 1990-1995

2H: 6 cylinder, naturally aspirated.; available in the Canadian market HJ60 as well as other markets. Does not turbo well; low boost only.

12HT: turbo’d version of the 2H. Excellent engine and quite powerful. Very limited production run 1985-1989

1HZ: 6 cylinder, naturally aspirated. Excellent engine and is seen as Toyota’s 3rd world workhorse engine. Production run: 1990-current This engine takes very well to an aftermarket turbo.

1HDT: turbo’d version of the 1HZ. Excellent engine for a 80 series conversion. Available from 1990-1995

1HD-FT: 24 valve version of the 1HDT. Excellent engine for a 80 series conversion. Available from 1995-1997

1HD-FTE: computer controlled version Toyota’s 6 cylinder diesel. Started in 1998.

1VD-FTE: Toyota’s first common-rail V8 diesel also debuts a new twin-turbo system that delivers strong power while reducing fuel consumption as well as emissions.

Back