Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fitted a roof rack and a shelf

hamba

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
So in preparation for our road trip to Italy I got a Front Runner roof rack and build a shelf for the back.

The idea is to give our tent a place where it's out of the way but still accessible, it's too heavy for me to fit on the roof so it has to go into the back. I then thought I can also get a space for the fridge, it's a cheap one from outwell that to my surprise works with the 100w power outlet in the back. It's not as fancy as some of the once out there but it works well for what I wanted.
IMG_20170618_173413.jpg

IMG_20170618_173403.jpg

Took delivery of the Front Runner roof rack
IMG_20170626_102511.jpg

and fitted it to the truck
IMG_20170701_125218.jpg

IMG_20170701_125232.jpg

IMG_20170701_125242.jpg

IMG_20170701_125301.jpg

IMG_20170701_130549.jpg

I am really pleased with the rack.
I've also got a roof bag from HandiWorld called a HandiHoldall Foldable Roof Box to hold some of the larger items that we can't fit in the back like our camping chairs and a few other bits and bobs.

Cheers
Hamba

Thanks Andy, I don't think I'll be making it to Lincombe any time soon, its a bit of a trek from my home and the ferry prices are crazy. I will get there again in the future but I'm not sure when that will be.

Ahh yes, you're 'over the water' That would be a trek. Still, nice looking Cruiser and yes that's a very nice roof rack. They make good kit.

I like the Rack hamba.
Not sure if you're aware that the power outlet in the back only operates whilst the vehicle is running or accessories are left on (which are on a delay timer as you may already know). If you can run the fridge directly off one of the 12v cig power supplies (also 100w) , reason being is the inverter is converting the 12v from the battery to 220v (and assuming the fridge runs on 12v ) back down to 12v by the fridge. Very inefficient.
I maybe wrong ,though thats how I believe it works.

Enjoy your travels

Hi Gasmanjc, I am aware that it operates only when the car is on or like you say when its on acc but that will be more then enough for us, all it has to do is keep a few things cold while we're driving and hopefully the milk will be good for a cuppa in the morning. We aren't in the middle of no where so we can always nip off to the shops if we need anything. I don't think this fridge is anything more then a fancy cool box really so efficiency is the last thing I was worried about.

I was thinking of using the 12v power from the centre console but the bloody cable was to short so I though lets see how the socket at the back will do and it was enough to turn it on, since then I have bought an extension 12v cable just in case the inverter packs up. One thing I have noticed is how crap that power socket is at the back, the first time I pushed in the plug it bend the copper earth thingy, then after I thought I bend it back, which I didn't I managed to push the socket out of its fitting and it was dangling loose with no way of pushing anything onto it. I did manage to get it out and clipped it all back together and was then able to push my plug into it.
So just a warning, when a plug doesn't want to go into the socket, don't push it to hard or you'll end up with it in bits.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounds like you're onto it. Wish I had have known some this stuff before I started touringin the 150 .
I find the biggest issue with 12v socket is them vibrating out and whatever i plugged in there is no longer operating

yeah the vibrating out problem will be there on the 100w socket as well, it would have been nice if Toyota gave us a rubber band or a hook on either side of the sockets to make sure stuff doesn't come loose.

Back