Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fitting a 3.0l Surf engine into a Prado

IRLGW

A friend of mine has recently changed a blown engine in his Prado for a blown engine from a breaker! The only other engine he could get was out of a 3.0surf. He installed it and had to change the sump, exhaust manifold and the Injection Pump. Engine starts and runs fine on tick over but there is a real bad knocking noise when the revs go up.

First Question is can the IP be changed out like that and given the engine sounds healthy on tick over what is the knocking likely to be? He has changed the Injectors so I was thinking late injection which would point to a pump/timing issue.The pump ran the previous engines ok except that they had ring and head damage.

Just wondering if anyone has done a similar conversion before..

Sometimes when the 1kzte over heats it can damage the electronic pump. Did the original Prado motor overheat much? Was the engine check light illuminated cause I read a long time back that can be difficult to remedy IIRC.

When you setup these e pumps you don't have to use a dial gauge as there's no location to fit it. Provided He's fitted the new pump dead centrally then the timing sensor corrects the timing. So swapping from later to earlier engines shouldn't be an issue. Been done many times for sure! Has the surf engine got it's original cylinder head? If it's original there will be 1A or 1B or 1C stamped on the head above the exhaust manifold. Copy heads have nothing there and 90 series will have 2A or 2B or 2C. Just so you know if the surf engine is in it's original format.

I normally junk the electronics so can't really give any testing info.. why did he change over the pump?

Quite a hard thing to determine with out looking and hearing it.

I would be interested in buying the bolt on shorter engine mounts that were off the surf engine if he still has them???

If he has them I cannot see a problem in getting them for you. He changed the pump just so he could hook up his electronics to it, as his truck was setup that way. He bought the prado a few months ago as a non runner and the head was in the boot so he sourced a second hand engine (non intercooler) but it was only 100psi on two cylinders so that was scrap as well. He could potentially re-fit the mechanical pump from the surf I guess but then would have engine management lights on permanently?

If he finds out that the e pump is at fault, I have a good electric pump from lil blue 's engine. We could do some kind of px/deal on the manual pump??? Possibly??

To convert from ecu electonics on the truck you would need to do an ecu delete behind the glove box. Quite an involved job. If manual transmission its do able but auto has shared ecu with the engine.

Then you don't have the engine check light on.

Back