Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fitting a raised air intake on a LC 120 series

MetalDonkey

Country Flag
uk
I would like to fit a raised air intake on my LC120, as I am making it ready for some off roading trips in the future , My question is : how difficult is it ? is there anything that I need to be aware of , Makes to avoid . is it worth it..Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Just before you do that .....

Ask yourself if you really NEED a snorkel. It's often the first thing that people fit and frankly other than being somewhere to attach a clothes line to, it's one of the least necessary additions. The static wading depth of a standard 120 is 700 mm. That's pretty deep. With a lift that might go up to 750 or more. I had water up the windscreen on my 120.

Now in really deep water of course they're necessary, but the occasions where you encounter truly deep water are quite few. Even on our recent trip to Russia where we crossed several lakes, rivers and flooded areas, there were few that would have been a problem without a snorkel.

I'm not saying don't, I'm just saying don't be blinded by the fact that everyone seems to stick one on at the earliest opportunity.

Where about are you going to be driving it?

If you're going to be driving it a lot in very hot places then the raised air intake will pull cooler air into the engine which will help with efficient, but we're talking 40 deg plus desert driving and even then I don't know how much it actually makes a difference.

Also if you're doing a lot of driving in very dusty places it might help keep your air filter cleaner for a bit longer.

To answer your questions, depending on your skill level they are fairly easy to install, We've got a Safari Snorkel and very pleased with it. Realistically it probably isn't worth it but i'd stick it on anyway because they look cool.

I bought one for my 80 because a) I thought it would be needed for wading and b) it looked cool, but in actual fact it has, apart from one instance, never been needed, and that one instance was when I was pay and playing, not on any of my trips.

Agree with what's already been said regarding need. A lot of the cheaper snorkels to be found are made by Telawei in China (model ST120A) and sold under various names. The Safari ones from Oz (SS181HF & SS181R) are a more accepted option, but at a price. With a cyclonic head they will help keep the filter element clean for longer in very dusty conditions, but if it's for over the bonnet water situations, then extending the breathers for the axles, transfer box etc. is needed too.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Many thanks for the responses, Interesting points raised . The reason for my question is that I am in the very early stages of my planing an overland trip to Ghana West Africa , And not sure of the vehicle modifications required.
also not sure of the best route whether down through Spain ,ferry to Algeria , down through Algeria into Niger (Niamey) depending on wars, famine etc or down through Morocco , Western Sahara, Dakar etc . or third option . Just give up sell the cruiser and buy a Prius. I do think that Raise air intakes look cool also...

There's only one down side to fitting one really and that the cost for a bit of moulded plastic. You won't do wrong fitting one, but it's £300 extra to spend on tyres and other useful things.

There's only one down side to fitting one really and that the cost for a bit of moulded plastic. You won't do wrong fitting one, but it's £300 extra to spend on tyres and other useful things.

Agreed, £300 spent on derv will take you a fair distance even in a loaded 120.

I fitted one to my 120 because I like the look of it, and the sound of the air intake. I bought this one, which is a bargain:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-L...512786&hash=item5b24df9e4a:g:STIAAOSwfC9XPHy7

Fitting was awkward, but I did it myself and I'm very picky and take my time with jobs, especially when drilling huge holes into my wing.

I fitted this head as the one that comes with the snorkel looks shit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Univer...907966?hash=item3d4b465e7e:g:cugAAOSwUchZ7vHb

Good luck trying to get south through Algeria, even if you could get a visa you’ll have to pay for an official guide which will cost a lot.

If it’s hot air temps are the same at standard intake and at a snorkel intake height, a snorkel won’t draw in colder air unless it’s very very high

Good luck trying to get south through Algeria,
I got a visa a few years ago just before all the mishap started to happen. Afaik you won't get anywhere near the southern border of Algeria now.

Oh you can still get visas but getting one that gives you access to the Deep South is a different matter.

I know someone who is going to try and enter through the Algeria/Mauritania border heading north soon but we expect they’ll get turned back as it’s not for tourists

Good source of info. Also worth using the Overland Spheres Facebook groups

Back