Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fitting seals

Oli.g

Country Flag
england
Hi everyone, my front driverside lowerball joint and wheel bearing went and noticed i had a leak from the diff seal, ive also had slight leaks on the transfer case and near side rear axle seals which have gotten quite bad

Im going to try fit them myself, front and rear axles i can strip without a problem but the transfer case i was worried about, the prop comes off and leaves the flange, how do i remove the big nut om the flange or do i leave it in gear an itll jam so it doesnt spin?

Also when fitting the seals am i best off buying a seal driver kit? Any tips or help would be appreciated and sorry if these are dumb questions ive not done much mechanical bits myself haha

Been a while since I've done seals on a 90 so I'll leave that to someone else. Some are easy though and others more tricky as you'd imagine

Now, seal and bearing drivers. In principle, a really great tool but in practicality they can be like those boxes of assorted circlips and pins etc that you buy. There never seems to be one quite the right size. I do have a set, but luckily I also have a lathe so many of mine have been machined to fit particular seals.

As an alternative, you can use a good fitting socket or even something like a small paint tin. There's nothing special about seal drivers really. In short, unless you get one that you KNOW fits the seals you are going to seat, you may end up with something that's no real help. Where they can be helpful is where access is tight. Other than that, just tap them in gently at 12 - 6 and 9 -3 and of course buy genuine ones.

I wasn't looking forward to fixing a diff to prop leak i discovered the day before a 2 week drive leaving to add some transmission leak stop to oil my only hope for the best option if i was to make the trip . Must be 5 or 6 years ago now and i still haven't replaced the seal because its never leaked since .

Put the same stuff in my gearbox , transfer box and rear diff despite having no leaks because well why not .

Back