Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

FJ 70 SWB land cruiser handling issues

asheddie

Country Flag
australia
Hi all,
I have recently bought an FJ 70 Landcruiser. I have been replacing some aging parts over the last two weeks getting it ready for a roadworthy inspection. I have never driven in a SWB cruiser before and was wondering what their handling is normally like? I understand they won't be in the same class as a LWB but I think mine has some issues! I have ordered new sway bar and spring bushes but have not got them yet. The symptoms are that it swerves from left to right without warning. It is a handful to keep in a straight line. I noticed my lower shock bushes are stuffed in the front, could this be causing it to swerve? Should I replace my ball joints too? Or is this just how the SWB with 50mm suspension lift handle? It has 33 inch MTZ tyres too. I noticed it has an extra leaf in each spring but it also has a v8 conversion so I presume it was added to adjust for the heavier engine? Any advice will be greatly welcome! I'm very new to Toyota's.
Thanks,
Ash.

The first thing to check is the wheel alignment.

If thats OK, it sounds like it could be the castor is out on the front axle due to the suspension lift. The easiest way to see/rule this out is to see if the steering wheel returns to center after turning a bend.

I cant imagine worn shock bushes or ball joints would make it swerve. :icon-biggrin:

There is probably a whole host of things causing your handling problems. Normally they go straight and handle as well as any SWB 4wd. Once you give them a 50mm lift, they become less stable but not dangerously so.
The "ball joints" are called Tie rode ends or TRE. If it had a 3F engine as "FJ70" suggests, then the V8 (depending on what it is exactly) would not add much more in terms of weight. The old 3F is based on a 50s truck engine ,so it was no lightweight.

Hi all,
I have never driven in a SWB cruiser before and was wondering what their handling is normally like?
Ash.

If you're new to swb altogether I would suggest you ask someone who isn't to drive yours and give you their opinion . Quick and perhaps over sensitive steering is one of the things that endear me to swb , and jacked up heavy duty suspension will only make this fun characteristic more noticeable .

Okay, thanks for the advice. Sounds like I need some leaf spring wedges to fix the caster angle.
I started replacing the spring bushes last night as the new ones had arrived. The engine I'm running is a Holden 5 litre v8, fuel injected. I'm not sure what it weighs but its a solid lump of metal! I ordered some new tie rod ends and front relay rod ends last night also. I may as well replace them to see if it cures the steering issue before I track down the wedges. I haven't fitted the rear spring bushes yet but I can see one has clearly split. As Roscofj73 has mentioned, it's probably a whole bunch of little issues causing its poor handling. It has a sports steering wheel fitted that is very sensitive, I think I might track down an original one as I don't like the feel of this little thing! I noticed the power steering pump is leaking a bit of fluid too. I better get a seal kit for it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ash, get a wheel alignment first mate. This will give you the information you need to make the right decisions. Insufficient castor and even insufficient toe can influence the issues you're experiencing. An alignment will tell you what those angles and measurements are so you can solve them correctly instead of guessing.
they don't cost much for the benefit of that info.
cheers. Chris

A wheel alignment would give you the info but you still have to deal with TRE and relay rods. I would do them 1st ,then the alignment at a shop and they can add the shims until its right.
Asheddie ,is there any slop in the steering box? Thats another thing that needs to be adjusted, not too hard with someone helping you

I will install the tie rod end then go for a wheel alignment. There is a Bridgestone tyre centre about 50kms away that have a good alignment set up. The steering box is nice and tight, no slop at all really.
I replaced one of the centre spring bushes last night after work, it was a bastard to get the spring to line up but I managed it with a couple of jacks to bend it up and across at the same time... I'm glad I replaced it as it was totally destroyed. I've got the other one to do this afternoon.
20150427_121753.jpg
hopefully the tie rod and other parts arrive this week so I can get the alignment later in the week to see what size castor wedge's I need.

Ash check your relay Rod end. There is an adjustment in there that took alot of play out of my steering.
Then you also may have to adjust the relay rod itself if your steering wheel is off centre when the Front wheels are pointing straight ahead. :think:

Ash check your relay Rod end. There is an adjustment in there that took alot of play out of my steering.
Then you also may have to adjust the relay rod itself if your steering wheel is off centre when the Front wheels are pointing straight ahead. :think:

okay, will do. cheers mate.

Ash,I'm quite surprised at the rusted out part.I understood that there was not a big problem with rust in Aussie because of your drier climate.I know in NZ if you go near salt water rust can hit if you don't keep things clean and wash well after.Mates of mine used to spray waste oil underneath and never had problems.Pat

Ash,I'm quite surprised at the rusted out part.I understood that there was not a big problem with rust in Aussie because of your drier climate.I know in NZ if you go near salt water rust can hit if you don't keep things clean and wash well after.Mates of mine used to spray waste oil underneath and never had problems.Pat

Pat, we have a pretty big coastline around Australia! I think its something like 98% of the population live on the coastline in Aus. We have massive rust issues here, unless you live in the middle near Alice Springs etc!
Because there are so many beaches that go to the horizon, lots of 4x4's drive on the salty sand and it's hard to wash it all out. once the rust starts, its a bugger to stop.
One of the reasons I bought my Landcruiser was because it hardly had any rust. I've already cut, treated and filled it all.
All of the other bushes were greased, but this one was dry. I think they must have forgotten it or the grease nipple was blocked?
The water pump arrived today, hopefully I get a chance to fit it this arvo. I'm taking the boat out for a fishing trip tomorrow so I've got to get a few things ready for that.

Thanks for that.most of the blokes I've talked to must be from the bush.Catch plenty of fish today.Pat

I've sent you a photo of my girlfriends.if you come over I'll crutch one or two for you.regards Pat
image.jpg

Wait till I can get a photo of my competition.

hahaha that's classic!

I live on a property on the southern Fleurieu Peninsula, South Australia. Just over the water from Kangaroo Island. I've got 80 acres of land that I run as a market garden. Its been the family business for 40 years. My wife and I bought the farm from my parents 5 years ago when my Dad retired. Its a beautiful location but its only 4.5kms from the sea as the crow fly's. We have a big gully that leads down to the ocean on our southern side. This means a sea breeze most afternoons that's beautiful in the summer, but also brings the salty air that rusts everything...

My neighbours are sheep/cattle farmers, they have some real beauties Pat! bahaha!

The new tie rod ends, relay ends, speedo cable and a nice little impact driver arrived today. time to get busy!

Oh, don't ask about the fishing... fifty million little fish, nothing worth keeping!

20150316_121000.jpg

Back