Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

FJ40 - Restoration in full Swing

Ricky_UK

Country Flag
uk
As promised some updates on the restoration.

Well it all started well, engine and box out, HF55F box sourced and sent for recondition.
Roof off, doors off, windows out, started stripping back the paint and then thats when you realise what a world of pain you have entered into. The removal of paint highlighted that masses of filler, at one point I was sure the body was 70% filler 30% metal. We then removed the shell to discover some small patches of rust of the chassis. Some handy work got that sorted and the chassis is now like now. Ready for cleaning and then respray.
It was decided that money was better spent on a new shell rather than removing a re-filling the previous one so a new shell was found and work started to get it ready.
She is going back together at present to make sure it all sits right, then will be stripped down again and prepped for paint! Exciting times ahead and I've made the all important decision - Colour!

Next time, What to do with the interior!

Enjoy the photos!

IMG_20160801_091943.JPG IMG_20160801_112005.JPG IMG_20160806_101505.JPG IMG_20160806_101527.JPG IMG_20161006_132130.JPG IMG_20161006_132138_1.JPG IMG_20161006_132149.JPG

Great work Ricky on a brave project!

But don't keep us in suspense, WHAT colour??

:confusion-waiting:

Clive,
Thanks for the message, I'm not sure if it was brave or stupid but its certainly expensive!

I'm sure there will be some divide on my choice as I'm going non standard but its taken me about 6 months to convince myself and i'm still working on the other half.

But anyway here goes. I have decided to go with Marrakesh Brown (found on recent BMWs/Audis/VWs)

I know its not original but its something a little different (i've not seen another FJ40 in that colour) it should keep the truck looking utility but give her a good shine when the sun is out. Going to keep the roof and wheels black along with the frame/running boards. just deciding whether to go for matt or gloss?!?

Thanks for the interest!

Hi big job on the go looking good keep the pics comeing it looks good in red goog look with it good old 40s from Tony

It's a lovely colour and it'll be interesting to see it on the 40. Personally I like seeing non standard colours on classics, sometimes it doesn't suit but when it does it's really impressive

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back