Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

FJ45 - Chassis - Rebuild

scalci

Hi Everyone

what would you recommend on a chassis rebuild to powder coating it or spraying it?

rgs

If there's build up of rust and shite laying on the inside of the chassis then it's quite important to get all of the loose material that's sat in the lower edge of the chassis.

I used a chimney brush to pull all of the material down to a place where you can scoup it out. There's no drain holes in the lower side of a 45 chassis so there's no way for it to get out.

I'm not quite sure how powder coating would work.. but don't know how rusty etc your chassis is.

On the one I have there was a lot of rust on the lower junction between the inner/outer riveted join. It showed up a gaps and expansion of the lower edge.

Pop some pictures up so we can see the general condition... good luck with your quest! :thumbup:

Iwan thank you. I will take a look once it is stripped.

Quite a nice project during these times :)

I'm not a fan of powder coat while respecting its tough as hell when applied from new to the likes of motorbike frames , i imagine that new metal is dip cleansed with whatever chemical giving a clinically clean surface for the powder to bond to . I believe galvanizers dip clean before application as well .

Hi and welcome good look with it we have to have pics have fun :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back